2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rough Idle while stopped SXT

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Bahamutzero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle while stopped SXT

Hey guys!

I've dumped about 2 grand into trying to figure this out.. compression test rendered my 1st cylinder losing compression. fixed this, was a bad ring, replaced it, resurfaced the head, lapped all my valves, changed all the gaskets, replaced my cam position sensor, replaced MAP sensor...

Engine acts normal, starts normal, until you stop while in gear.. The vehicle drops down to ~500 RPMs, the oil light comes on because theres not enough RPM to pump oil, and after about 30 miles or so the coolant starts boiling.. This is the SOHC 2.0 4 banger.

The IAC looks clean and im lost as far as what to do next to this thing.. Engines pretty much been rebuilt, all cylinders have 120 for compression, no engine codes thrown...

*Edit*
The vehicle only starts slowing idle while in Drive or Reverse.. Stalled 1 time in Reverse since overhaul, and hasnt had any problems in reverse since it stalled out... However in drive the RPMs drop after 30-45 seconds and it starts vibrating pretty good like its about to die.
Any help with this would be amazing, thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bahamutzero; 06-22-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
houndog97
Rookie

We have been through this many times here and I also went on a wild goose chase and got bad info. Here it is one more time...the motor mount on these cars are fluid filled and absorb the vibration when the car drops idle. To prove the point I went and loosened the motor mounts from the outside wheel well and the vibration is much better . In the summer I don't have to do that because i run the AC all the time.

Now here is something new I learned from the forum......the grounding kits seems to smooth out the idle too. That's one thing you can't go wrong with and is worth the money because the wires on these cars are really cheap.

But getting back to the vibration,if you just back off the motor mount about one turn you will see the vibration gets much better. I drive it like that in the winter when i don't use the AC. And that's the bolt from the outside wheel well NOT the inside one !

Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Mine does that and all I do is pop it in neutral for a second then back in gear and it's good the rest of the time I'm stopped. As for the water bubbling, you probably have an air bubble in the system.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle while stopped SXT