3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

How far away does your remote start work?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
dohcboost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How far away does your remote start work?

I am the proud owner of a 2012 R/T. Love the vehicle for the most part, but have a question about how well other peoples remote starts work.

The farthest i have gotten my remote start to work has been apx. 30 feet. Most times i have to be within 15 feet to get it started.

The dealership has already replaced both keys so I want to get a feel on what my expectations should be. I dont want to leave my car at the dealership for another full day and get 0 results. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

30ft sounds about normal for a factory system some lucky buyers can get 50, (this would be line of sight with 0 obstructions, anything in the way including a wall or window will shorten that distance considerably)

some of the really high end aftermarkets will do much better (1/4 mile claims from some of them) but id be suspicious of that claim myself.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually commenting yesterday about how good the range is I started mine yesterday at the mall from about 200 ft away.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Total Loss
Rookie

Ironically, I just got back to my office from a business lunch and used the remote start feature as I walked back to the D after leaving the restaurant. The parking lot was slammed with vehicles and it was raining lightly when I double-tapped the remote start button. Not being familiar with Aventura Mall, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the D had started and it was still three lanes away. I swear that I walked a good 200+ feet before I got to it and thought to myself how I'd never been able to do that from so far away with my previous GMC truck. Now, I get on here and I read your post. What a coincidence!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
deedubb
Rookie

I can start mine from the front door at the local Costco, to the very back end of the parking lot.....it's gotta be 500ft.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM
dohcboost

Im going to have them look at it again. I went out to lunch and i had to get within 10 ft to get it started. I was opening the door before the initial start had completed. I just hate the idea of them tearing my truck apart.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
coldsteel
Captain
Exclamation

Is this everywhere or just certain locations. The remote is basic RF so if there is a ton of RF interference you could have diminished range.

One other possibility is the actual RKE receiving antenna. i seem to remember someone on here trying to put in a sub under the rear floor and discovered that this is where the antenna is.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...976-post3.html

Make sure the antenna wire is clipped into the harness.

Last edited by coldsteel; 07-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Is this everywhere or just certain locations. The remote is basic RF so if there is a ton of RF interference you could have diminished range.

One other possibility is the actual RKE receiving antenna. i seem to remember someone on here trying to put in a sub under the rear floor and discovered that this is where the antenna is.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...976-post3.html

Make sure the antenna wire is clipped into the harness.
I haven't tested distance on my new D yet, but it is so true that the environment matters. On my last D, I had an aftermarket that was supposed to be good to 2000ft. It was typically good line of sight, if I could see it, it would start. Through buildings was still good for 200+ feet. But - if a cell tower was within a block, forget it. At my usual supermarket where a cell tower is right across the street, I've held the remote a foot from the car and it would refuse to lock/unlock/start - even inches from the remote start antenna.

To the poster that had it work 200 feet from their car in a ramp, I suspect the ramp is pretty well shielding outside signals, and the concrete tunnels the signal, bouncing off the low ceiling.

I don't get why car manufacturers don't get it - they could easily offer an upgraded two way long range unit - I'd sure buy it if it were well integrated. Now I'm reluctant to add an aftermarket system since I don't know how it will play with my keyless-go remotes. Don't want to mess those up.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

I've had mine a good 200 ft away and it'll work and this is outside in a walmart parking lot. But environment is a huge factor for sure

Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
dohcboost

Mine is clipped in, so its not the blue clip. Im wondering if the antenna itself needs to be replaced.

As for the environment, it doesnt make a differance when im trying to do it. Clear LOS nets me about 15-20ft at best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How far away does your remote start work?