Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New to forum my 2005 grand caravan Sxt won't start

Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Jetset
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum my 2005 grand caravan Sxt won't start

Hey guys, my caravan started this morning then shut off and won't start again.
Heres what I did so far checked fuel pump fuse good, fuel pump relay good swapped with other. Removed neg battery cable for sometime still won't start.
It cranks over but won't start it sounds like its being starved for fuel.
Please help me out with some ideas. One last thing I own 2 of them and on the one that doesn't start I don't hear that little psssst when you turn the key I think that is the fuel shot for fuel injected vehicles,

Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
dodge15QQ

When you turn the key on to the run position (not the start position) do you hear the fuel pump cycle for a few seconds? Try it on the other caravan and see if you can hear it on that one. If you don't hear the "psst" the pump is not running. A bit unusual for the pump to fail suddenly, they usually give some sort of warning (hard starts etc). You've checked the relay and fuse so the next option is the inertia switch? Most vehicles are equipped with an interia switch that will trigger when the vehicle is in an accident. This shuts off the pump, a good thing. In some circumstances closing a door or hatch really hard can cause this to happen. The switch is usually located somewhere toward the back of the vehicle. Not sure where on your van. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no inertia switch on a mopar. Pump should run for a couple of seconds after key on. If not, have somebody hit the center of the fuel tank while you crank it. This will usually cause the fuel pump to start running and confirm the falty pump.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Jetset

Gave it a shot of starter fluid started right up then died. Got nothing from stepping on accelerator

Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Jetset

Also tried tapping tank to no avail

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
dodge15QQ

Well, the inertia switch appeared to be the easiest fix but apparently it doesn't have one. Sounds to me like a fuel pump. Again, in most cars there is a shrader (sp) valve that is accessible on the fuel lines under the hood near the engine. You could use this to test for fuel pressure. But, I think with the starter fluid test you have established you have no fuel. I can't think of anything else except a bad fuel pump! Is there an easy way to check that you actually have power and ground at the pump? My guess is the tank has to come out to access the pump and at that point you should probably replace the pump anyway.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you don't tap it, you hit it with a hammer while someone is cranking it over

Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Jetset

Tiz I hit it with my brass hammer

Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 AM
revfarwell

I am responding in case this helps any one. I replaced the fuel harness and PCM computer and solved this crank no start on my 2003 grand caravan. 3.3l v6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to forum my 2005 grand caravan Sxt won't start