2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to change intake manifold gasket

Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Shalviin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change intake manifold gasket

I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 engine. I need to change the intake manifold gasket and was wondering how hard it would be for a novice? Also, are there any DIY guides regarding this? Anything I should be careful about? Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM
tbone360
Professional

Read the sticky at top be-all-end-all plenum thread. Lots of good info. Plan on a weekend to complete. Its not that hard just time consuming. Tme hardest part is not snaping the manifold bolts. Also this is a great time to do the cap, rotor, wires it will never be easier. Also valve cover gaskets, water pump and timing chain. Get the double roller makes a world of difference.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Shalviin

Thanks tbone...

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
tbone360
Professional

No problem.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbone360
Read the sticky at top be-all-end-all plenum thread. Lots of good info. Plan on a weekend to complete. Its not that hard just time consuming. Tme hardest part is not snaping the manifold bolts. Also this is a great time to do the cap, rotor, wires it will never be easier. Also valve cover gaskets, water pump and timing chain. Get the double roller makes a world of difference.

I agree. I just did this again not long ago to the 360 in my Durango and I posted my info in that thread since I hadn't seen some of the details I thought worth mentioning. It's a long thread by my post is near the end of it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalviin
I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 engine. I need to change the intake manifold gasket and was wondering how hard it would be for a novice? Also, are there any DIY guides regarding this? Anything I should be careful about? Thanks for everyone's help.

Also, get a Haynes manual AND download the free 2001 Factory Service Manual from the FAQ/DIY section here at DF. Read about the project in both manuals first.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the manifold off in about 1 1/4 hours and put it on in about 1 1/2 hours, cleanup & gasket prepwork took the longest. I spent a half hour with my plenum plate on the wire wheel cleaning the old gasket off and another 45 minutes on the intake & heads sanding the old gasket meterial off by hand since I couldn't find my sander and I also changed out for the 180 thermostat. Then I took my time with putting the copper permatex on the coolent ports of the intake as well as the plenum plate and to complete the job I also changed plugs,cap,rotor & wires. Probably 3 1/2 to 4 hours the whole thing took me to complete the whole intake job, finding & getting tools set up & ready was the time consuming thing. The average person shouldn't expect results like mine, this is my 5th intake job on a Magnum/Ram motor and first time on my own Ram.

I did use my dads battery impact to take certain things off like the ac pump so I could fold it over to the fender so I didn't have to worry about losing freon. The biggest thing is having your tools organised and sockets on rails! do this before the job!.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 08-01-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change intake manifold gasket