Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

blowing coil packs.....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
hatemyvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing coil packs.....

Ok so here goes:2004 Grand caravan 3.3 V6 had an open injector which turned out to be a bad pcm. replaced pcm, went ahead and replaced injectors, spark plugs and wires and a few other items. since getting the van back on the road it has killed 2 coil packs... im at a loss for why they are burning out. any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 AM
zero10
Professional

How is the wiring harness? Have you checked it for melting? Sounds like a possible root cause given the other issues.

What brand were the replacement coil packs? What is the mode of failure?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confirm the wire harness is good from the PCM to the coil. If all looks ok change the PCM.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:37 AM
grswat
Veteran

When you say it killed 2 coil packs you mean it killed the original 8 year old one and then one brand new one correct? Was the replacement new? OEM? I hate to blame new parts but if it was a parts store coil it may have just been a bad new coil.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
hatemyvan

The wiring harness is good. no melted or otherwise damaged wires. I had to go through 3 computers before I got a good one. let me start at the beginning to give you an idea of what I went through. Went to go to work one morning and van was running like crap. Showed code for injector circuit open so I replaced the injectors. When that didnt fix it we replaced the computer. Van ran for about a day when I discovered the new computer was fried from the melted mess of wires in the injector harness. I ordered another computer and it was misfiring so I replaced the coil which did not fix the problem. ordered one more computer and it was good however about 2 weeks went by and I had a misfire so I put the original coil back on and it ran fine for about a month and then it went out. So I am on coil number 3. Im hoping I just had a bad coil and the original was just worn out, but I just want to make sure im not overlooking anything.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 AM
zero10
Professional

What brand was the replacement coil? It sounds like when you replaced the computer you were using ones from a junkyard, correct? Do you have access to another compatible van to test some of these things on? Also, you say the wiring harness is good, but later say it was melted. What was the extent of the repair to the harness? Complete replacement? Electrical tape? Somewhere in the middle?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM
hatemyvan

The harness with melted wires was for the injectors and each wire was soldered and heat shrinked when I repaired it, but that was way before I started having coil issues. I'm using autozone coils and I used auto computer exchange for my replacing PCM. Unfortunatly I dont have another van available

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blowing coil packs.....