Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan turn signals

Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM
btrojanoski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan turn signals

My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has developed an intermittent problem with the turn signals....most of the time they work fine, but intermittently when I try to signal a right turn the left turn signal comes on the dash and the left turn signal flashes....other times when I try to indicate a left turn, nothing happens....stopping and starting the van sometimes clears the problem, or it clears the next morning.....has anybody come across this before.

Barry

Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you replace any bulbs? Because you could be getting feed back if the wrong bulbs were installed.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

definitely start with the light bulbs.
Also, when ur Turn Signal does NOT work, does your 4-way flasher works?
or maybe you need a turn signal Stalk/Switch.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
btrojanoski

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Have you replace any bulbs? Because you could be getting feed back if the wrong bulbs were installed.
No, no bulbs replaced.....one other thing....my wife thinks that when it happens to her if she wiggles the turn indicator shaft, that the problem goes away...that doesn't seem to work for me...

Barry

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
btrojanoski

Originally Posted by steak59
definitely start with the light bulbs.
Also, when ur Turn Signal does NOT work, does your 4-way flasher works?
or maybe you need a turn signal Stalk/Switch.
I have not tried the four way flasher when this problem occurs....next time...thanks

Barry

Old 08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If your wife is moving the handle of the multi-funtion and the problem stops. Then that should be were to start. Replace the multi-funtion switch assy.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
btrojanoski

Originally Posted by master tech
If your wife is moving the handle of the multi-funtion and the problem stops. Then that should be were to start. Replace the multi-funtion switch assy.
Ok, thanks......

Barry

Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intermittent problems can be a tough nut. If the bulbs and sockets are ok I would suspect a processor in the BCM or IPM based on your getting it to work again with a power cycle. I would try to eliminate the multifunction switch first. The most obvious way is to jiggle it. If it cures or induces the problem try a new switch as stated. The right way is by using a multimeter. At contact three (white with light blue stripe wire) of the switch connector you should get a consistent resistance reading going left or right with the switch. You'd be looking for a major change in that consistent reading.

Looks like we're all answering at the same time. BTW - No flasher module on your van.

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Heatherlee03 (03-01-2020)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
btrojanoski

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Intermittent problems can be a tough nut. If the bulbs and sockets are ok I would suspect a processor in the BCM or IPM based on your getting it to work again with a power cycle. I would try to eliminate the multifunction switch first. The most obvious way is to jiggle it. If it cures or induces the problem try a new switch. The right way is by using a multimeter. At contact three (white with light blue stripe wire) of the switch connector you should get a consistent resistance reading going left or right with the switch. You'd be looking for a major change in that consistent reading.

Looks like we're all answering at the same time. BTW - No flasher module on your van.
I will replace the multifunction switch assembly first...it's a 15 minute job and not expensive...thanks all.

Barry

Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 AM
2005DGCvan

This has been happening to me as well and is intermittent as well.
I haven't figured out a fix either...except to move signal light in and up and to either right or left..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan turn signals