3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Graeter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy

I bought a super-clean silver quad cab TRX4 4.7l Dakota about a month ago. I am using it as a daily driver to occasionally tow my miata to and from the track etc.

Well, I expected poor gas mileage and don`t care too much about it, but I figure if I can improve it, I might as well to save some money in the long run. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.

What I am thinking about doing is a K&N intake and a superchip. This also can help me with my towing which is an added bonus if I need it. Are they worth it? What else is worth it?

For those that care, I have done the following so far on the truck:
- Window Vents
- Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
- Put on all the necessary towing stuff (class iv receiver, 7 pin wiring)
- Soft tonneau cover

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

External tranny coolers are cheap, easy to install and effective. Also it seems like you will be doing a lot of towing. Get one of those.

I never used superchip but forum members swear by them.

Might also want to change gears for something more tow friendly

What is a window vent?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check to see what gears are in the truck, open the glove box and see what the sheet says, if they are 3.55, get rid of them, I went with the 4.10 and love them,

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Graeter

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
External tranny coolers are cheap, easy to install and effective. Also it seems like you will be doing a lot of towing. Get one of those.

I never used superchip but forum members swear by them.

Might also want to change gears for something more tow friendly

What is a window vent?
I was looking into the tranny coolers. Do the 5speeds have cooling issues with towing?

The gears are 3.92. I figured that wasn`t too bad especially with OEM tire size. Should I still look into better gears?

The window vents are referring to the window visors or w/e you want to call them as shown here:
http://cdn1.autopartsnetwork.com/ima...R-IN-CHANN.jpg

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Graeter

Originally Posted by superdak05
check to see what gears are in the truck, open the glove box and see what the sheet says, if they are 3.55, get rid of them, I went with the 4.10 and love them,
Probably should have multi-quoted, but it came with 3.92s because of the TRX4 package. I figure that should be good (one of the reasons I bought it).

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default You Make Me Laugh!

Originally Posted by Graeter
Well, I expected poor gas mileage and don`t care too much about it, but I figure if I can improve it, I might as well to save some money in the long run. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.
I think that Joke Posts (like using the words Fuel Economy and 4.7L in the same line) are supposed to go in the General Discussion Forum!

I think that the best way to reduce the fuel used is to stop pressing so hard on the long skinny peddle - but it is just so darned fun!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Not much you can do on the mileage front. Some members have resorted to removing weight, etc. But only 1-2 mpg gains are seen. A CAI and low restriction exhaust are your best bets. Superchips tuner improves performance, but mileage suffers because your always on the gas wondering why the dang trucks dont come from the factory like that...lol. Babying mine, the most I ever got was around 20 mpg on a trip. 15-17 around town. Towing your lucky if you break 15. It's a big, heavy truck.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

welcome to the forum, sounds like you got started off on the right foot. please post pictures of your TRX4!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM
slicktrick
Professional

mileage,towing & dakota 4.7......yeah,the cai,exhaust & superchips help,but its no hemi.
yes, it will do the job,but neither towing or mileage is real impressive to be honest.
i pull a 18 ft triton bass boat with mine & it makes me wish i still had my old ram......or a new diesel,lol.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
kjpark
Professional

the first thing i did when i got the truck was drop in aem and delta 40 exhaust from cat back(removed all resonators too). my mpg went up 3 at most. really im not a big cai fan, since for $100 you can get a box drop in and your own straight pipe from the tb to box, half the price as k&n. Also its mixed but i hear bed covers make mpg worse in most cases, only b/c factory they built the truck to be made without one..just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy