Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caliper, rotors and brakes

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Arwen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliper, rotors and brakes

Hello,
I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has 38,000km. Last month I could feel lots of heat coming from the rear driver side wheel and the van wasn't driving quite right. I brought it in and was told my caliper was seized. The caliper was under warranty but they told me I also had to change my rotors and pads (which had been replaced about 8,000km prior). The rotors and pads were not under warranty and they said I had to do both sides. Is this "normal"? I kicked myself after for not asking to see my old parts. I was told the seized caliper damaged my rotor/pad and that both sides had to be done so it's not worn out in a different way. I'm just not sure if I got taken or not...I'm really not confident since I know nothing about vehicles. I had to pay for new rear brake pads and rotors and labour. I wasn't too happy about the labour since the calipers are under warranty and it doesn't seem to be that much MORE labour to change the pads and rotors while you are doing the calipers. IDK?
Commments appreciated!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A seized caliper usually ruins a rotor by overheating and warping it. The pads also tend to crack when overheated. And you ALWAYS change both sides when doing brakes. In fact, you should ALWAYS change both sides when doing tierods and balljoints as well as most any suspension part.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. Always change both sides especially on a vehicle that is having so much trouble with it's brakes. It's a fleet wide problem on the 2008 Caravan/T&C. They've even issued an extended warranty on front brakes.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Arwen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the feedback! I have not heard of the extended warranty??? Now I'm hearing noise again but this time it sounds more like I have heavy duty tires on...it's LOUD...no squeaking or grinding or thumping...just louder than it should be. I checked my tire pressure and they are all good. Normally the tire pressue light goes on anyways. I recently had a leaky tire pressure valve so my pressure kept dropping. I check my pressure on a regular basis It's just frustrating because I bought this van thinking it was good for me and my kids...but if it's not the wheels, it's the AC or something could potentially catch on fire. ugh...

Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: caliper, rotors and brakes