Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

96 b250 rear speaker size and removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
aej_27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 b250 rear speaker size and removal

Hey guys I'm getting ready to have my buddy upgrade my sound system in my 96 b250 wheelchair van and I'm trying to get everything bought and ready for him to do it in one try. I'm having a hard time after searching for a few days finding the rear speaker size and info on removal of the panel there behind. I know there either 6x9's or 5.5. Thanks guys! Also I've read that this van should have 3" up front in dash and 6x9s in the front doors and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the 3" is that possible? but idk there is no sound coming from up front.

Last edited by aej_27; 09-04-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6x9's in the front doors and same size either in the rear doors or I have seen some mounted on the side panels just over the rear wells.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
aej_27

Mine are over the rear wells. Any ideas on removing the panel to get to them? I'm looking the speakers now and I think he will have to remove the wood panel that holds the cup holders and ash trays but idk. Should I just have him cut the old speakers out and just mount the new speakers visible

Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Hard to say for each custom conversion is different on how they mount things. It may be easier to just install them visibly.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your van has the speakers in the side panels above the wheel wells, they are 6x9.

To remove them, you have to undo the screws along the side barn door on the pannel up to about the window glass. Nest, remove the screws along the metal trim piece from below the windows all the way back. This allows the plastic panel to be popped outward for easy of access. The plastic grill covers are press fitted in. Good metal speaker grills should work better. BOSS is one brand I went with for the rear to maintain the bass. The front doors each have 6x9 and the dash has 4x4 I believe. Replaced all of them back in the Spring.

When replacing, get speakers with the plastic cones. The felt is junk and rots, cracks and distorts the sound over time. The money is well worth it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
aej_27

My van doesn't have plastic panels it has like blue headliner material. There is a piece of wood that run the length of the back that holds cups and stuff under the windows on each side. Screws hold it down but there is a row on the top like directly under the window and on the face of it like right above the panels I need to remove to get to the speakers. I didnt know if I could remove the ones above the panel or both sets to remove the whole wood piece

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by stev
The front doors each have 6x9 and the dash has 4x4 I believe.
98 through 03 might on ones with premium sound system but the 97 and older did not have dash mounted speakers. I have a 99 at my work that only has the front door speakers, but it is just a cargo van.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM
blackvan
All Star

My 2000 Regency conversion van came with four 6x9s, 2 in the doors and 2 in the rear side panels, and two 3.5" speakers in the dash.

Crutchfield's web site is usually a good resource to figure out what size speakers came factory installed in your vehicle.

Quick Reply: 96 b250 rear speaker size and removal