1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Wiper Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Not Working

So one day last fall I turned on the rear wiper, it was working fine. Drove to my destination and shut off all the wipers before I shut the truck off like I normally do, rear wiper goes back to the down position. After I left from my errand, I realized I hadn't turned on the rear wiper, so when I did, it wiped to the point of being vertical and stopped. I shut it of, it did not return to the down position.

So I got home, turn on the switch, it didn't do anything, so I grabbed the wiper and tried to see if I could move it. I could feel it trying to move but it was like it didn't have enough juice to move without my assistance.

I haven't touched it since, but I would now like to replace it before winter comes again. It was kind of annoying not having it all last winter. I tested it again and its going the same thing.

So where should I start looking for issues before I waste a day going to the U-Pull it to get another motor?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

pull the inside of the door apart and see if you get 12v at the motor when the switch is turned on, if you have 12v there then pull the motor and see if it functions properly out of the liftgate.

If you have power at the motor the issue is either something jamming the motor (removing it should remove the obstruction) or a bad motor.

if it doesnt work anymore out of the door then its the motor. gone bad

Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably corroded from moisture too. If you take it out, do it right and put a new one back in there. Can't be a fortune aftermarket or even dealership.

That's how you keep an old vehicle new. Mine has been replaced a part at a time for a decade.

IndyDurango

Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Mine doesn't work either, and I'll be leaving it that way. It's been awhile since I priced a replacement motor, but I want to say it was in the $300 range. Even if I'm off on that dollar amount, it was definitely high enough to put it in the "I can live without it" category for me.

Tried to find one from a salvage yard, but they won't sell them. Because of rusting issues there's enough of a demand for the rear lift gate as a unit that they won't take the motor out of a non-trashed gate, and when they do get one in with a trashed lift gate, the wiper motor is out the door same day.

Last edited by coreybv; 09-14-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

I've got a spare 98-00 wiper motor, $70 plus shipping. Came out of the tailgate I bought for my truck, but couldn't use it as the wiring for the 01-03 wiper motors is different.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Not Working