Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Caravan ignition switch locked

Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
xevier69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Caravan ignition switch locked

Hi,

I have a 2001 Caravan with ignition switch locked. I couldn't turn the key on from time to time and a little tapping on it would help. However the tapping recently was more and more frequent until yesterday. I cannot turn the key on at all. I sprayed WD40 but no help. Any idea what should I do? I need to get to work tomorrow. I will disassemble the steering column shields but no idea what will do then.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tumblers in the lock cylinder are sticking causing the issue. They are made of softer metal so after a few thousand times of having a key shoved in them, the tumblers bend alittle causing the issue. Remove the covers, turn the ignition to run. On the bottom side of the cylinder is the retainer, it is spring loaded and can only be pushed in with the key in the on position. Push in the retainer and remove the cylinder. Turn the cylinder to the accessory position and the stop on top will come up against one of the brass pins. Pull the pin down and continue to turn it and the inside cylinder will come out. You will now be able to remove the tumbers. There is a spring under each one, don't lose it. Remove one at a time and file them down flat and reinstall them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Caravan ignition switch locked