Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

towing with 2012 Grand Caravan

Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
happy camper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with 2012 Grand Caravan

I'm looking for an 11 or 12 Grand Caravan with tow package, and auto trader turned one up on a nearby used car lot. They claimed it was an SE with tow package, but when building a van at dodge.ca I can't get a tow package on the SE - only on SXT and above. The salesman was not knowledgeable, but suggested I take the VIN and check with the dealer. Entering the VIN at dodge.com we find there is no tow package, but the following possibly relevant features:
16" Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Electronic Stability Program
Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
Touring Suspension
Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Heavy Duty Radiator
730-Amp Maintenance-Free Battery
160-Amp Alternator.
So, how close is that to a tow package? I phoned the dealer and he said he could add a hitch and brake control and that would do it. But I'm skeptical - what about the suspension?
Is there someone who has a 2011 or 12 tow package and can tell me authoritatively what it actually includes?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

The towing package is only factory available on Crew and R/T models. It includes the class 2 hitch receiver, Load leveling and height control suspension, and The trailer tow wiring harness.

The load leveling and height control suspension consists of a special shock that will auto adjust the height (rear sag) once you start driving. It uses the forces acting on the suspension to 'pump' itself up....hence the height control. There are aftermarket companies that offer similar products, or you can buy the factory ones.

***it is most likely that the previous owner just added the hitch and wiring harness.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Susp...id=20121065384

I would use those over any sort of self pumping shock absorber any day of the week. In my 2002, I had to use an airbag system and I got one with an onboard compressor as well. My kit was way more expensive but suited my needs better. Look around for the exact kit that suits your needs.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 AM
throckalo

A "factory" tow package also include oversize heavy-duty front brakes.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 AM
b1lk1
Veteran

Originally Posted by throckalo
A "factory" tow package also include oversize heavy-duty front brakes.
Not sure where you heard this, but there are no differences in the front brakes on any Caravans no matter how they are equipped.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 PM
throckalo

While I wasn't expecting to see any difference, I personally observed the larger calipers and rotors when I tried to put standard Caravan winter wheels on a 2012 R/T with the tow package - they wouldn't fit. The size difference in brake components was very obvious when viewed side by side to a Caravan without the tow package.

The following users liked this post:
davidcitizen (10-07-2020)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie

If there is a difference in brakes and other stuff then Chrysler / Dodge should list that in their web page "Build a minivan" quote. Because usually their tow package is not worth it when they just add a class 2 hitch [which sucks, it should be a class 3] and trailer wiring. You can get the load leveling in other packages that are worth it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Originally Posted by throckalo
While I wasn't expecting to see any difference, I personally observed the larger calipers and rotors when I tried to put standard Caravan winter wheels on a 2012 R/T with the tow package - they wouldn't fit. The size difference in brake components was very obvious when viewed side by side to a Caravan without the tow package.
You have made an honest mistake, but it is a mistake. The 2012 R/T is the only Caravan model to get 4 wheel Heavy Duty disc brakes. It has nothing to do with the towing package, it is part of the R/T package. Same with the Durango, the R/T gets the larger brakes....

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
throckalo

No problem. I was told that the big brakes were associated with the tow package at the time.

It appears that H/D brakes come standard with the 17" wheel option and not with the R/T or tow package.

Sorry to hijack post with bad info. (However, I would like to add that the heavy duty brakes work really well on the 2-ton van.)

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 PM
2012TurdBoxOwner

You'll be fine with an SE with the hitch. I was in the same situation in the spring when buying our new 12 Caravan. The crazy price jump to a Crew model just to get the tow package didn't make any sense. Remember, all models are rated to 3600lbs towing. All models also have the trans cooler. Depending on what you're towing, it may be worth it to upgrade the brakes and suspension but that's going to be thousands less than splurging on the crew model + paying for the factory tow package.

The following users liked this post:
davidcitizen (10-07-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing with 2012 Grand Caravan