3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Dodge RAM 1500 - O2 sensor and Catalyst not ready

Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
coolram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 - O2 sensor and Catalyst not ready

2007 Dodge HEMI 5.7L RAM 1500 Sport Grey
My 2007 Dodge did pass emmision inspection since it had O2 sensor and catalyst not ready. Since I drove more than 400 miles but it still has not cleared. It has no other error codes nor 'check engine' message. Yesterday I took it to the dealership. Today I was told that we could not help you. Service guy told me that at their dealership, he has seen this second time in last several years. He advised me that you simply have to keep on driving and gave me some criteria as to speed RPM etc. The truck has only little over 54000 miles.

Please help me if someone has been through this problem.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming you meant to say you "Didn't pass inspection"

Have you used an aftermarket tuner on the truck?

Have you replaced both the Upstream & Downstream O2 Sensors?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
coolram

Izero,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, It didn't pass the inspection. I have not replaced any of the sensors. I have not used any aftermarket tuners either. There is no check engine light nor any error codes. I have my OBDII Actron and it keeps on showing 'INC' for those 2; O2 and Catalyst sensor.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Izero
Champion

so replace the sensors and see what happens... that would be my starting point...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Dont buy the sensors at the parts store save yourself some money get them at ROCKAUTO.com. Make sure you stick to the original brand of the sensors or you could end up with more problems

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I wouldn't replace the sensors until you know they're bad. You'll know a sensor needs replacing when the PCM actually conducts the test on the sensors and pops the CEL on. By replacing a sensor, it will not speed up the test of the sensor. The tests of the systems, or sensors, only gets done after certain driving situations. Meaning both city & highway driving, or whatever Dodge requires before the test will be conducted.

I had the same problem on both my car & truck last year, same two sensors. The truck I got through on the second try, but my car was another story. I got it to pass on my fourth try! I forgot how many miles it was, but what a PITA.

Don't worry, you'll either get the CEL or pass inspection, hopefully the latter.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

So, to be clear, they wont pass your inspection because the sensors are showing incomplete status, not because they actually somehow found a problem with your catalytic system. If you havent installed new sensors, then your battery had to have been disconnected at some point in recent history. Does that ring a bell? When you do that, things get reset and have to complete a "drive cycle" before they will start reporting problems, if there are any. But inspection stations that are required to check emissions cant pass you when the sensors read inc because every person with a real problem would just disconnect the battery right before going in for an inspection. Normal driving will eventually complete a drive cycle but, if you can find out what the drive cycle is, sometimes you can follow some steps and force it sooner than later. The link below contains information like what i am describing but i dont know if they are the steps that will work on your truck. I replaced a sensor on my old 4runner once and tried to force the drive cycle to complete following similar steps but could never get it to work. It eventually completed on its own.

http://img.neons.org/archives/chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
coolram

Thank you all for the help. As mentioned, I have to do some highway driving to complete the cycle which then may clear the incomplete error message. The battery terminal connector was rusted and broke off disconnecting the power, and since then I have only done city driving and probably have driven 500-600 miles total but not like 100 miles at constant RPM and speed. I think what 04HemiGreg stated makes sense. Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Izero
Champion

That isn't 100% correct, he failed because of a failure to pass the "readiness test" which is most of the time indicative of a failing or failed O2 sensor. (of course other sensors can cause be at fault too)

He is correct that if the PCM's short term memory was erased (by resetting the PCM or disconnecting the battery) the computer will NOT perform the readiness check.

But you stated that you drove through a complete heat cycle (20-50miles) which should have been more than enough for the computer to adjust its fine learning trims and begin the readiness checks.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/download...fact_sheet.pdf

That is a little fact sheet that will help explain what I am summarizing here.

You might not get a DTC (aka CEL) if your sensors fail the readiness check, because they might still be reporting valid voltage/amperage readings.

The inspection station should have given you a failure report after they performed the inspection, it would help us help you if you can post that up so we can see which sensor or sensors failed the readiness check.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coolram
Thank you all for the help. As mentioned, I have to do some highway driving to complete the cycle which then may clear the incomplete error message. The battery terminal connector was rusted and broke off disconnecting the power, and since then I have only done city driving and probably have driven 500-600 miles total but not like 100 miles at constant RPM and speed. I think what 04HemiGreg stated makes sense. Thanks again.
If you have done 500-600 miles i would just start with sensors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 - O2 sensor and Catalyst not ready