1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango Seems like a bad Fan clutch???

Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 AM
JJ67RS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango Seems like a bad Fan clutch???

Hello People, first timer here... I just purchased my 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 w/4.7L. about a month and a half ago... Two days ago I came home from work everything was normal...The next day when I went to go back to work the truck seemed a lot louder. The noise sounds like the fan is running on high. The truck has 80k on it...The power and acceleration have also decreased a considerable amount. It sounds the same no matter whether it is in Park or in gear. With the engine off, you can rotate the fan by hand in either direction fairly easy, should you be able to? Has anyone else had a similar experience, or have any thoughts about this problem.

Thank you.
JJ67RS

Old 10-26-2004, 01:44 AM
r5moores
Default RE: 2000 Durango Seems like a bad Fan clutch???

I am new in this forum as of tonight. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 w/4.7L also. I bought it with 35,500 miles on it 14 months ago and now have 76,000 miles on it. Anyway, the reason i joined this forum was to find out more about my Durango and known problems that might pop up. Just yesterday myself and my brother in law replaced my water pump and fan clutch. I was experiencing the same problems with noise from my fan in the engine. The more i pressed the gas the louder it got. I also lost A LOT OF POWER. I see your post was a couple of weeks ago so you might have fixed it already. My fan was wabbling and when you pushed on it you could hear it clicking from within the water pump bearings. I purchased a BOSH WATER PUMP from Pep boys for 60.00 and a FAN CLUCH for 70.00. The sound still did occur for the first day but has slowly went away during the day and break-in period now just hear it after first starting up .

Anyway. Good Luck.
r5moores

Old 11-06-2004, 04:09 PM
doug_mi

It is a bad fan clutch. Mine sounded like a jet plane after it stopped working at about 77k. The part was about $70. to have it dealer installed $200. [:'(]

Old 12-16-2004, 09:24 PM
dodgeboy23

i have the same problem but with my dodge dakota 2000..how easy is it to put the fan clutch in. i kno you ahve to take the housing off for the fan then drop teh fan out then what should i have a dealer do it???

Old 12-16-2004, 11:47 PM
SnipeRT
Rookie

STOP STOP STOP

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!

The sound you are experiencing is NORMAL for Dodge engines. Let me guess, it usually makes that noise after your truck has been parked a while (overnight), and the motor is cold when you start it up? Right?

Anyways, it's not caused by anything WRONG with your motor, so there's nothing to fix. You can eliminate the noise by replacing your clutch fan with an electric fan, but that's not nessicary. The noise will go away within a minute of starting your engine. Yes, that fan does drag alot of power from your motor, but the effects are only temporary. My '93 Dakota w/ 3.9L did it all the time, and my '99 R/T used to do it.

Unless it makes that noise ALL of the time (it never stops), then replacing your clutch fan with another clutch fan will do nothing excpet make your wallet lighter. If it is CONSTANTLY making that noise, then that means all the fluid has drained out of the fan's clutch and it needs replacing. But if it's only TEMPORARY when you first start the engine, don't worry about.

-Kurt

Old 01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

ORIGINAL: SnipeRT

STOP STOP STOP

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!
HAHA i love it. HOLD YOUR DAMN HORSES!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy 2 year old post batman!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

yah i know it. Oh well. But snipeRT is right in what he said.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read any of it but I'm sure it was to the tune of "my fan is too loud I'm gonna replace it".

Old 01-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mean Green,

At least when yours went out it seized up and keep the D cool especially in summer season! When mine went out, it just barely spin no matter what RPM's the engine ran. Luckily for me I had a electric fan backup but even with that, it barely prevented my D from overheating.

now with new fan clutch, it always roar alot, much longer than I would like it to from cold start point of view, but it will go away after a few miles of driving. That is what I get for buying a very expensive ($100+) severe duty clutch! I wonder if a cheapo clutch will release much sooner after initially starting up the engine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Durango Seems like a bad Fan clutch???