2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slop in steering wheel

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slop in steering wheel

Ok So I have had play in my steering wheel for as long as I can remember.If I adjust the gear box it dosnt change nothing,ball joints,u joints&tie rod ends all seem to be good but the steering wheel still has that slop.Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix. The video on the site will tell you how to check that nasty bushing.

Steering slop can come from any component in the steering system. Check everything carefully.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These trucks are notorious for sloppy steering. No matter what you do to them.

Still wouldn't trade it for the world

Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
These trucks are notorious for sloppy steering. No matter what you do to them.
I don't know about that. Mine's just fine, no slop or wander at all.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Check out the Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix. The video on the site will tell you how to check that nasty bushing.

Steering slop can come from any component in the steering system. Check everything carefully.
Good link Im ordering one Monday&I watched the vid&did as he said to check&you could feel a bit of play,in the bushing..also noticed if I rock my steering wheel back&fourth there is a bit of noise..
Gonna order a steering stabalizer also not sure if I should get the hell bent stell one or the rancho dual set up?what's your opinion.Before I posted tonite I try adjusting the gear box did a little over kill the rig didn't wanna drive straight.fixed it for now &btw went&had the tires balanced tonite while I was out&seems to not be as shaky as we talked about before didn't get em rotated just balanced.Im thinking whatever is left of the shake is to do with the large tires&steering issue.But so far no shaking @45!l
Im thinking if u remember I told u cruise was out&air bag light is on well is it possible the bushing causing the slop could of caused that?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Gonna order a steering stabalizer also not sure if I should get the hell bent stell one or the rancho dual set up?what's your opinion.
I'd go with this one.

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Im thinking if u remember I told u cruise was out&air bag light is on well is it possible the bushing causing the slop could of caused that?
Probably not. For the air bag, the hot ticket is to hit a stealership or some other shop with the Chrysler scanner (not a generic code reader!) to find out what it's all about. For the cruise control, the most common culprit is loss of vacuum at the speed control servo under the battery tray. Sometimes it's a broken vacuum hose, other times it's the servo itself. But it could be other things, too, so proper troubleshooting is in order -- there's no sense being a parts changer d00d hoping to get lucky. There's a test procedure in the factory service manual.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The gear box is shot, simple as that.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Abom79

My 94 started getting sloppy back in the early 00's. I replaced all front end steering parts with not much luck. I eventually replaced the steering gear and that pretty much took all the slack out. Theres still a small bit but I figured thats the best its going to get.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Abom79

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser

Wow, I just now discovered this link. For years I suspected something in my steering column was wore out, but never took it apart to see. Now I know what was wrong. Im going to order two of these kits, one for each of my trucks. My 98 column has started making popping noises when I drive now. I bet its the spring and bushing as desribed in the video.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Abom79
Wow, I just now discovered this link. For years I suspected something in my steering column was wore out, but never took it apart to see. Now I know what was wrong.
Every now and then the internets prove useful!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slop in steering wheel