4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Remote Start Options

Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Options

I talked to my dealer and they told me $425 installed for a remote starter for my truck. I know this is a little high, but it would be the factory remote start option. I am thinking resale value as well and coverage if anything goes wrong with the remote starter.

Anyone have a factor remote start, and if so how far does it reach?

Anything about it you don't like?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory start. It goes about 100ft, not through buildings.

So if you don't have it, go aftermarket. You can spend that 450 bucks and get an aftermarket start that goes 1000ft. The only issue with that is you will now have two fobs to deal with. If your alright with that check out viper, they are pretty good, they also can incorporate bump sensors and alarms into that two. They are the most expensive and you will have to get a professional to install it. But after that you wont have a problem.

Compustar is pretty good too, little less quality but installation is easy and it works really good.

Come to think about it your gonna want a professional installation anyways, just for warranty issues. If you do it yourself, your looking at major bucks if you do it wrong.

Also check out a think called drone mobile, I have it installed on my truck and its fantastic.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

my girlfriend lives right outside DC in an apartment building. the whole area she is in is all built up apartments and office buildings. well there is a parking lot in front of the building where I park. She is several floors up, and about 60 yards from the parking lot. not only that the building is an L shape with the parking lot being in front of the upper tip, and she is in the inside corner. I will walk up to her window, start the truck, and by the time I get down and out, the trucks warmed up.

I am amazed at how well the oem started works.

Now I have had some random problems, where it has stopped working for a few days, then just starts working again.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
chris h.

It would be nice to be able to start it from inside a building and have the two way notification of an aftermarket system but I don't want a huge keychain. I like just having the one FOB. My OEM works from about 150 ft away. I have no complaints.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
2006 Jackpot

I love my factory remote starter on my 2011 Sport. But I also have a 1995 Ram and a 2002 Subaru that I installed after market remote starters in, i believe brand is bull dog, and they both still work fine. Aftermarket installation is not too difficult. Be sure to get the wire harness diagram from the starters web site. Also you don't have to cut any wires during installation. Just strip off enough coating to splice the new wire onto the factory wire.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional

It is worth it to get remote start. I have factory installed option and I can start my truck from quite a distance. The nice thing with factory remote it includes factory alarm which is a plus. I live in Western Mass. and the winters get cold and I LOVE my remote start.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
706jim
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2010 TRX4
It is worth it to get remote start. I have factory installed option and I can start my truck from quite a distance. The nice thing with factory remote it includes factory alarm which is a plus. I live in Western Mass. and the winters get cold and I LOVE my remote start.
My factory remote works at least 5 or 600 feet away and hasn't given me any problems in the year I've owned it.
Another advantage I've found (factory or aftermarket starter) is that I can lock up the truck and scoot into a grocery store with the cat inside the truck on a hot day.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional

Evan, it is worth it to get it. I see no negatives when it is -10, also keep in mind you can use remote start in summer for cooling too!!!! I just saw a reply to one of my posts and they mentioned 600ft. range. I am not sure about my range but I can start mine from one heck of a distance. I think the battery in the FOB has alot to do with it also. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evan4434
I talked to my dealer and they told me $425 installed for a remote starter for my truck. I know this is a little high, but it would be the factory remote start option. I am thinking resale value as well and coverage if anything goes wrong with the remote starter.

Anyone have a factor remote start, and if so how far does it reach?

Anything about it you don't like?
Evan,
your dealer is getting in your pants. Thats why most of us call them "STEALERSHIPS"

When i ordered my truck with the factory installed remote start, it was only $250 bucks added to my order sheet.
They gave me too much for my trade, otherwise i woulda got it for free with the deal when i ordered my truck.
(dealer only pays $115 per unit when they order them from the factory, only equals big profits for them)

As for distance on how far away it works, my factory remote is good out to 800ft. (and i can start my truck from inside the place i work at too) Chrysler only makes 2 remote starter kits, one is only good for 300ft, the other is good out to 800ft. Just some good advice my friend, stay away from aftermarket kits. Nothing but problems, including voiding your warranty after you install an aftermarket unit. I dont give a **** what people will tell you in here how great they think aftermarket remotes are, do it right and install the factory unit. You`ll be very glad you went with the factory unit should you ever have an electrical issue down the road later and NEED your warranty. Do some searchs on ANY forums about people with nightmares and loosing their warranty`s because they installed aftermarkt products, all the auto forums are full of them.

Well, the ONLY thing i dont like about my remote start is, sometimes i forget to turn the heater on before i get out of the truck the night before...lol. Other than that, i will NEVER buy another vehicle again that dosent have a remote start option. Also, the key to good range, is to replace the battery twice a year. Batteries are cheap, and it keeps you and the remote happier as well.

Last edited by LU229; 11-30-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Darek117
Rookie

I bought my truck used 1 owner from a dealer it doesn't have power anything. Windows i dont really care about, it is a single cab so not really needed but i would love remote start and power locks with a keyfob. Can i just go to any dealer and get this installed and what do you think im looking to pay? I didnt put it on my truck from the dealer bc i wanted to keep my payments as low as possible and the dealer was a used car dealer. My truck was a repo so i got it for a hell of a deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start Options