3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Help with siphoning gas

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM
debtman3535
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with siphoning gas

Guys- I hope you can help. I have no idea if this is the correct forum, but I do hove a 3rd Gen Durango.

Thanks to hurricane Sandy, my family has been without power since Sunday... it's 5 days now.

I have a generator, but I'm running out of fuel. I need to keep my family warm. I have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old. I hard-wired my oil burner to the generator and we're no longer cold.

So I have a 2012 Durango Crew and a 2010 Town and Country. Each with at least 3/4 a tank. I tried to siphon, but no luck. I cant get the hose down the tube. I topped off prior to the storm thinking the vehicles would be my fuel storage. Stupid me...

As you know, the gas situation here in NY is nuts. The lines are extensive, and I can't leave work to sit on a line for three hours, and I'm afraid to leave the house and family at night because of the situation here.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get gas out of either of these vehicles without damaging them? 10 gallons would buy me 4+ days of heat for my wife and kids. They are saying now that it could take another 13 days before we get power here on Long Island.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks-
Gerry

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Don't think you can siphon via the filler neck; I think anti-siphons and rollover protection devices block it.

As a last ditch in an emergency, you may have to puncture your fuel tank and drain it from below. Do so carefully with an extinguisher handy.

Your insurance may cover the repair/replacement since it was an emergency.

I'm sorry for your situation; if there is no way for you to get out to a safe warm place, I think this would be a proper solution.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I don't know anything about syphoning gas, but I will make a recommendation. If you do decide to puncture one of the fuel tanks.....DO NOT do it at the very bottom. If you puncture it at the bottom, you will be on the receiving end of ALL the fuel in the tank. Since you would be ruining the tank anyways, best to puncture it higher up, where only some of the fuel will come out.

ALTERNATIVELY, fuel tanks are pretty easy to remove. You will need to jack up the back of the vehicle, remove the straps that hold it in place, and carefully lower it. I don't know the process for whichever vehicle you may choose. However, you will need to disconnect the filler hose from the fuel door first.

You can google the process or call a dealer to get some help. I would call one that is out of the area of destruction, ask for the service manager, and explain your situation. Ask him/her for help. They can probably get a tech on the line to help you.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the D's have a schrader valve on the fuel rail? If so it will look like a tire valve stem. You can tap the fuel from right there, turn your key on and hook a line into the schrader valve, then to your gas can, let your fuel pump do the work for you. Be advised if you do it this way the fuel will come out VERY fast and under a great deal of pressure so make sure you hold it firmly in the gas can. As said above I would have a Fire Extinguisher handy. Good luck and I hope you and your family do well.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just disconnect the fuel line on the gas tank side of the fuel filter and shove the hose into your gas can, then just keep cycling your key on and off (don't crank) until your can is full. Really easy if you can get to the filter easily. The fuel filter on the mini van is a BITCH though. Alternatively, you can disconnect the fuel hose at the fuel rail if you can get to it and just extend the hose to reach your gas can. Cycling the key turns the fuel pump on. You can crank, but your gonna end up over working your starter and battery.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 AM
debtman3535

Thanks guys. I'll look for the fuel lines first and try to find the filter, disconnect and go from there. If we need to leave the house we will, but with two dogs at home that are family to us, that will be a challenge as well.

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Going to put something together for you. Keep checking back.

I figured I would show you this rather than you get desperate and poke a hole in your tank and disable your car.

OK....the 2012 Durango. The pics are of a Citadel with a Hemi, but the terminal number and wire color is the same. Now, I will tell you I have emptied a full tank without running the battery down before, BUT make sure it's good and charged before you do this. At least be able to jump it with your van if it does go dead. I know it goes without saying, but try and do this somewhere where some crazy can't see you and try to take your gas. You'll need a few feet of wire. DO NOT touch anything but this wire and the battery jump post. I would advise doing the Durango first as needed because if you happen to mess up and short something, the minivan TIPMs are still on backorder.

PLEASE be careful !!!!!!! I assume no liability for you catching on fire!!!

The fuel line quick disconnect will be on the drivers side rear......of engine compartment
Sorry I don't have a pic of that yet. You'll need some type of hose to go around fuel line to reach your gas can. You can activate the pump by bypassing the TIPM and not have to deal with cycling the key and taking forever. You are going to shave some insulation off the Dark Blue w/ Orange tracer, (or pierce the wire if you have the tools) and jump it to power. But, first you are going to pull FUSE M25 / 20A to prevent posible backfeed to the TIPM. The fuse number diagram is on the inside of the TIPM lid. If you even want to disconnect that connector you can do that too.

PICs...Overview of TIPM area and specific wire to power the fuel pump >>> The connector color is BROWN btw. Pic 3, there are 4 release tabs on the TIPM, then flip it over. I circled the wire in RED. LEAVE THE LID ON so nothing touches metal.

This should get you started. The Minivan is pretty much the same way, but I will post that stuff up later. Back to work for now.

Attached Thumbnails Help with siphoning gas-20121102_101620.jpg   Help with siphoning gas-20121102_101545.jpg   Help with siphoning gas-20121102_101109.jpg   Help with siphoning gas-20121102_100820.jpg  

Last edited by TNtech; 11-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
debtman3535

TNTech, thank you thank you...

You said the fuel line quick disconnect will be on the drivers side rear.... I'm not sure where you mean... the rear of the vehicle?

Last edited by debtman3535; 11-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by debtman3535
TNTech, thank you thank you...

You said the fuel line quick disconnect will be on the drivers side rear.... I'm not sure where you mean... the rear of the vehicle?
Lol..you read my mind. I just ran back to the comp to post that!

Driver's side rear of engine compartment. Working on a pic right now when I find one on the lot...3.6L correct?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
debtman3535

Yes, 3.6L. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with siphoning gas