1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake lights stuck on when headlights on, parking lights come on when pressing brake...

Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 AM
JHolmes763
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights stuck on when headlights on, parking lights come on when pressing brake...

Got a weird issue that hopefully someone can help out with.

My brake lights are stuck on when the headlights are turned on. When I turn the headlights off, the brake lights work as normal, except that my parking lights come on and the dashboard dims when I press the brake.

I checked the fusebox to the left of the dash and under the hood and nothing was blown. Could this be a faulty relay? Any other ideas what it could be?

Thanks for the help.

---John Holmes...

Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Digitoxin
Professional
Default RE: Brake lights stuck on when headlights on, parking lights come on when pressing brake...

My fist check would be all the bulbs. Give them a close look for a brighter
or dimmer bulb.. sounds like its back feeding power in a circuit.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 PM
JHolmes763
Default RE: Brake lights stuck on when headlights on, parking lights come on when pressing brake...

Thanks, I'll check that out. I noticed one of the bulbs in the brake light within the window works sometimes and doesn't work at others. If I can figure out how to get at those, I'll take a look at it. I assume that if I remove the bulbs one-by-one, it'd stop having this issue if I removed the right bulb?

---John Holmes...

Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
JHolmes763

That wasn't it, exactly, but it led me to the right path. The problem was actually some wiring for a trailor-light plug that was connected to two wires. Whoever did that should be shot...because, uh...yeah..it wasn't, uh, me...yeah....no really... uh... gotta go!

Thanks again...

---John Holmes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake lights stuck on when headlights on, parking lights come on when pressing brake...