3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how do i remove the bottom leaf spring for a lower look

Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i remove the bottom leaf spring for a lower look

i just recently put 22in wheels on my truck and i hate the way it sits so she needs to sit lowwwww im gonna order my 2inch drop shackles this week but i also want to remove the emergency leaf spring. i understand both of these combined almost level the truck? how do i remove this spring? what will i need? and how hard will it be?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just undo the u bolts all the way the you have to jack the frame while the axle is on jack stands. You can't just slide the leaf out because there is a pin in the middle. Do one side at a time. Oh and when you jack up the frame, put the jack under the leafs springs that you want to still be on the truck. If you put the jack under the frame itself, the leafs while bow down and you'll need a bigger jack. Hard to explain but you get it when you start working.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

so put the jack under the leaf springs that are staying on? sorry i dont really get it haha and with the overload spring gone will the pin still fit back in or will there be a gap

Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

directions to change drop shackles....
with your truck elevated on jack stands, place hydraulic jack under the rear axle and raise it until the weight is removed from the leaf spring. loosen and remove shackle bolts, and remove the stock shackle. install your new lowering shackle, tighten bolts, donot over tighten(this will cause squeaks and binding) remove the jack and jack stands your. ready to go!!!

and while you have the leafs loose just undo all the axle bolts(4) and drop the axle down(or lift truck up) and disassemble leaf pack, one bolt. and then remove the bottom spring it has a pin in it also, i used a flat bar and pried it off. reassemble the leafs with the bolt and put axle back together with 4 u-bolts and tighten everything down then attach drop shackles to truck and remove all jacks and stands....

mine sits level....

Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

ahhh sounds so simple lol, thanks buddy this will be next weeks task hopefully!! Do i have to remove my wheels?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i would it makes it so much easier, and also do one side at a time just incase you need to look how it went back together....also on the axle when your putting it back together make sure the bolt pin that holds the leafs together is in its resessed hole in the spring perch....good luck

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Overall it's fairly easy to do.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
AD'S HEMI

i am going to tackel this today.......... or tomorrow

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Ryan Dunbar

How does it ride after?

i'd like to level mine but i don't want to lift it. I tow with mine too, so i don't want to make it TOO soft...

but i also have a WD hitch so that can help...

Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 AM
AD'S HEMI

overall it rides about the same, on a solid bump, you do feel it a little more. But, i would not mind it as its not too bad or noticeable. I am posting a pic of my truck now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i remove the bottom leaf spring for a lower look