3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vent Selector Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 AM
JWACGB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent Selector Not Working

I'm having a problem with my vents. Sorry if someone else has posted this question. I did a search but my phone isn't bringing anything up for my results. My fan speed selector works just fine. The vent selector works when it feels like it. Just like the temperature selector. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Its like it gets stuck on the position I left it on and won't attempt to change until I cut the fan off. Even that doest always cure the problem.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

We just had a few threads about this problem,wasn't the switch itself,but the ****.It fatiques at the stem and seperates.Pull it off and check,if any movement(stem to ****)replace If you can see the problem go to the dealer and replace.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
hemitexas
Default How to repair vent selector./ Hemitexas

I had the same problem on my Dodge Ram this summer. I could hear it blowing hard but air was comming out vents very poorly. I had called a few places and they all gave me a bunch of "BS"on how they had to pull the dash! So I removed the 3 screws which holds the fan blower, after removing the blower, I reached up threw the housing and the diverter/door which when open lets air in from outsde,and when closed resurculates inside air, this door had broke off the peg it was attached to and had simply fell down onto the top of blower causing the airflow restriction! I had pulled outnthe glove box to get as good of view as possible, I carefully pulled door out from bottum where I removed blower, I then put 3M 100% silicone on the side which stops outside air from entering,I then carefully put this door back up into its closed position and after about 20 mins it was cured. I then put blower and glove box back in and problem is fixed! Now air blows as hard as it should.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 AM
hemitexas
Default How to repair vent selector./ Hemitexas

I had the same problem on my Dodge Ram this summer. I could hear it blowing hard but air was comming out vents very poorly. I had called a few places and they all gave me a bunch of "BS"on how they had to pull the dash! So I removed the 3 screws which holds the fan blower, after removing the blower, I reached up threw the housing and the diverter/door which when open lets air in from outsde,and when closed resurculates inside air, this door had broke off the peg it was attached to and had simply fell down onto the top of blower causing the airflow restriction! I had pulled outnthe glove box to get as good of view as possible, I carefully pulled door out from bottum where I removed blower, I then put 3M 100% silicone on the side which stops outside air from entering,I then carefully put this door back up into its closed position and after about 20 mins it was cured. I then put blower and glove box back in and problem is fixed! Now air blows as hard as it should.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM
JWACGB
Amateur

I will check the ***** but, I can feel it clicking as I turn each one. The ride home this morning from work, I had no problems with it at all. HEMITEXAS, the air coming out of my vents blows just as hard as I select it to. Almost starting to make me think I have a small vacuum leak some where.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM
joebarton
Default Similar problem

On my 08 ram, the upper (defrost) vents blow air when the selector is set on the lower (feet) blower position. It will change to the dash vents when the selector **** is moved to that position, its just the feet that it will not blow from. Have you found the soution for yours or hav any ideas?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM
JWACGB
Amateur

Originally Posted by joebarton
On my 08 ram, the upper (defrost) vents blow air when the selector is set on the lower (feet) blower position. It will change to the dash vents when the selector **** is moved to that position, its just the feet that it will not blow from. Have you found the soution for yours or hav any ideas?
I am having the same problem. All vents work fine when selected except the floor vents. The air just doesn't come out of them. I Google's around and found some information about it. The page I looked at was saying to check the blend door or whatever it is called. They said it is the one on the drivers side under the dash. I haven't looked at that one yet. I checked the one on the passengers side yesterday. It is the one that controls the cold/heat mix. What's weird about the whole situation is that even though all my vents work except the floor, it seems like it take for ever for it to change. Especially when I'm changing the cold/heat control. Let me be more clear. It takes a while to change the vent the air is coming out of. It also takes a while to change the temperature.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

Search Blend door on this site.. Hundreds of posts.. Mine's doing it now too.. not an easy fix and its a Common issue with our trucks but Dodge wont recall it.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM
JWACGB
Amateur

I just went outside to look for it. Well, its not on the drivers side. Its right smack dab in the middle. Guess I'm gonna have to pull the cup holder and center bezel out again. I thought the blend door was what we called the temp change lever under the dash?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hemitexas
That may work in Texas, but if you live where it snows, having your HVAC on permanent recirc will cause your vehicle to become a terrarium. You'll need plenty of towels to clear your windshield of water! That may be good for a temporary fix in summer, but that's about it. It isn't difficult to replace the recirc door at all.

Quick Reply: Vent Selector Not Working