1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

will my heater still work

Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
seansmink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will my heater still work

Hello my name is sean. i have a 2003 dodge durango 2w drive 5.9l v8. when i turn my ac on the compressor makes a ticking sound. what could this be, it blows cold and my second question is can i run my heater even if ac does not work

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
seansmink

so my heater works in the front only. the second and third row just blow cold air. what can i do to fix this??? please help gooing on road trip on 22 of dec to maryland and i wanna make sure my wife and baby are safe and warm.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seansmink
so my heater works in the front only. the second and third row just blow cold air. what can i do to fix this??? please help gooing on road trip on 22 of dec to maryland and i wanna make sure my wife and baby are safe and warm.

Sounds like your rear heater core is plugged or a blend door issue.. most likely if its the heater core you will have to replace that for it to work again... as for the compressor you heat should work without the a/c in order... mine does and my a/c has been out of service since september.

Last edited by Old_School; 12-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you can definitely run the heater w/o the a/c working, i actually have my a/c clutch bypassed for the winter (ok i put in a bypass switch) but same idea as not having a/c

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

Sounds kind of like a Blend-Door issue. Check this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...orks-fine.html

The way the HVAC works, is that the heater core always has full hot water flow through it. The blend door directs air either through the hot heater core or through the ac evaporator coil, or mixes some of both, to get the temperature you select with the control ****. Sounds like your blend door broke and is probably resting down on top of the heater core, preventing any air from flowing through it (so air just bypasses the core).

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

no clue on the rear heat issue, but i have my ac completely removed from my d, no bypass pulley, just found a shorter belt. and my d heats up nice and quickly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: will my heater still work