Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Grand Caravan Heater blower resistor

Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM
sdmcpheron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Grand Caravan Heater blower resistor

Today the blower quit working at any setting; As far as I can tell, the fuse and relay are ok. That leads to the resistor. Fine. Exactly where is the resistor located and how do I get to it to replace it?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The resistor is under the dash behined the glove door. But the blower motor may have failed. If the Blower doesn't blow on any speeds, i would look at the motor.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

Check if you have power to the blower

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
papaduck
Professional

I had my blower motor quit on my '04 Town & Country. The Thermal fuse was blown in the resister block. All other fuses were OK.

I checked the amps load on the motor, requires an amp meter that will read at least 20 amps. Mine pulled 17 amps at start up and settled down at 15 amps.

Use an ohm meter across the fuse located in the middle of the resistors in the resister block. If blown, with the key off, connect an amp meter on each side of the thermal fuse, then with the fan selector on high turn the key on and read the meter. Be prepared to shut the key of quickly if the load exceeds 20 amps.

If you do not have an amp meter, then you probably should replace the motor as it is more than likey it is pulling to many amps.

The thermal fuse is a 20amp at 144*. I could not find that one but did find at Radio Shack a 10amp at 139*. I used 2 in parallel and replaced the fuse. Had to be carefull soldering in the thermal fuses. You will need to use a heat sink (forceps or small needle nose vise pliers) to keep the heat away from the fuses. Also the fuses will need to be positioned as near center in the middle of the risistors. I figured that the cost of the thermal fuses was at least a cheap try as the cost was $2 each. If they blow I will replace the motor. It has been a month and is still working.

You need to be carefull as the resistors will get hot if you run the motor.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
sdmcpheron
Default I appreciate the responses

Thanks jumpdrive 2 and Master Chassis tech; I have printed your replies and will try them asap. I cannot tell if it is the blower motor itself. The blower was working fine the night before and would not work at all the next morning or since. So first I want to try the resistor block before I start blaming the fan motor. I may be being too logical but time will tell. Thanks again

Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
sdmcpheron
Thumbs up Thanks for all the replies

By the instruction y'all gave me and the picture diagram of what I would see I was able to locate the resistor. My neighbor and I took papaducks repair method and placed two parallel 10Amp @ 144*. Reinstalled the resistor and the blower came up immediately. All speeds are working. Thanks again to all who replied for taking the time to do so.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
sdmcpheron

Thanks for all the replies
By the instruction y'all gave me and the picture diagram of what I would see I was able to locate the resistor. My neighbor and I took papaducks repair method and placed two parallel 10Amp @ 144*. Reinstalled the resistor and the blower came up immediately. All speeds are working. Thanks again to all who replied for taking the time to do so.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Puroylan
Default Thank you!!

Originally Posted by jumpdrive2
Check if you have power to the blower

Thank you Jumpdrive 2. I saved myself hundreds of dollars! My 2004 caravan front blower stopped working and living in Canada where weather is harsh I cannot afford to loose my car's heater. This site helped me fix my front blower. Bought the blower resistor at Chrysler then watched how to replace it on youtube. It took me 30 minutes to fix it and I do not know anything about car. Thank you JUmpdrive2! Thank you Dodge forum. More power!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM
dsmblue

I recently had this problem, and solved it (temporarily) by replacing the blower motor resistor. However, the cause of most blower motor resistor failures is the blower motor drawing excess current, causing the resistor to fail. I had to replace both the resistor as well as the blower motor to cure all issues. If you get an electrical burning type smell after replacing the resistor, that is a sure sign that you need to replace the motor as well.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Puroylan

[QUOTE=dsmblue;2933750]I recently had this problem, and solved it (temporarily) by replacing the blower motor resistor. However, the cause of most blower motor resistor failures is the blower motor drawing excess current, causing the resistor to fail. I had to replace both the resistor as well as the blower motor to cure all issues. If you get an electrical burning type smell after replacing the resistor, that is a sure sign that you need to replace the motor as well.[/QUO Thank you DSMS blue. So far, I haven't noticed or smelled anything yet and I hope that I won't have any more problem with it. Will keep you posted.
Happy New Year !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Grand Caravan Heater blower resistor