Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Caravan heater control not responsive

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
SaxMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan heater control not responsive

Hi. New here. First post. I've been on the Sebring Convertible forum for several years, but yours is different. So forgive me for not figuring how to search your site for previous answers. Here goes...

2000 Caravan 3.8L, the sliding temperature control is unresponsive. Most of the time there is heat and sometimes there isn't (regardless of sliding temperature ****). I electronically reset the control module several times (all the lights blink for a while then quit). My mechanic thinks the temperature control module is bad and needs to be replaced. List price about $500. I see used ones/new ones on e-bay for $200-350. Mechanic says to check VIN number for correct controller because there were several varietys used.

Anyone else rode down this path?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Caravan heater control not responsive

One of your mixing doors may have come out of calibration. I have heard that there are no limit stops on the solenoid so it may be caught in a mid position. If the controller itself is bad, your reset does a self diagnostic and if it were bad would blink out a 2 digit code at the end of the sequence.. When doing the reset, at least on my 97 I can hear the damper doors opening and closing while it does the test.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 AM
SaxMan

Okay - my first reply !!

Yea - I was watching for the 2-digit error code on the end but didn't get one.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm sure someone else has had this problem...

SaxMan

Old 05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
pneugent

I just purchased my van and don't have that problem; however, does your van have a heating vent on the floor and does it constantly threw heat out even when the AC is on?

I have been doing some research and it appears many Dodge Vans have heating problems.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:55 AM
SaxMan

No. It will blow hot air out the defroster/vent/floor - where ever the other selector directs. It is not a queston of where.. it is of what temperature...

Please direct me to the source of your research into heater problems.

SaxMan

Old 05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
vanmom2k7

i knda had the same problum when i bought my van...i couldnt adjust the temperter or wut postion i wantedthe heat to come out of...all my dash clusterdidnt work also....anyway wut seemed to b the problum was behind the heat panel theres 2 plugs that go into the back of it..i had to take apart some of the dash to get behind itand 1 of the plugs that goes to the back of the panel some of the holes were melted anyway i unpluged the 1 plug n everything started working again.. i think wut it is, is in my van wich is a 2000 they put the drink holder right under were the heat panel is n if u have a tall coffe or drink it splashes into the panel i think thats wut shorted out the 1 plug...anyway i hope this helps

Old 05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
lastchance

ive got an '05 stow and go. heater control not responsive. wont blow cold air with a/c on. got the conpressor on and running with plenth of freon. anyone have an idea of what the problem is.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
alwaysdutch
Rookie

Yup, same problem here. Coffee or coke went into the blower control button and now the blower motor relay is not functioning. I checked the blower motor, which is fine as well as the actual controls, which have a small problem.....

My biggest problem is that I cannot find the relay that controls the blower motor

Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 AM
oconnowil

Yeah! I have the same problem, the temperature control does nothing. The other weird thing is all the indicator lights flash all the time. (the rear wiper lights, ac light, etc.)
Did you find out the problem? I read on another site of a similar problem and the answer was to replace the ac controller in the dash.
Let me know if you found anymore information.
Thanks
Erin

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM
f-150 hauler
Default RE: Caravan heat regulator **** not responsive

I had the same problem with my 2002 caravan. During this past winter the heat would not blow cold until i momentarily raised the fan to high and I would hear a thump of a heat damper closing and it would be hot until I lowered the fan again. I took the dash apart today and saw the servo motor that appeared to rotate properly when I turned the hot/cold **** back and forth. However, the nipple connected to the servo motor was broken off inside the heater housing. A big job to fix. Has anyone made this repair. For now I just bypassed the heater core for the summer.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Caravan heater control not responsive