Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replace belt tensioner pulley only

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace belt tensioner pulley only

I believe my noise is coming from pulley on the spring loaded tensioner. From Autozone I see I can buy the pulley by itself for around $18.00.

MY question is, do I just turn the bolt that you normally use to release tension counter clockwise, instead of clockwise like you would to remove belt. Of course after I get belt off, then just counter clockwise. Can I then just let me pull off that pulley? That just seems too simple. Maybe I should replace the whole tensioner, but I think it is just the bearing in the pulley. Don't know where the bolt for the whole tensioner is at. And if squealing is the only problem, why replace the whole unit.

This is on a 1997 Dodge Caravan 3.0 that I am doing free for someone else.

I hope this is it, slime chance it is noise from alternator, but don't think so.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the tensioner went bad on those, it was usually the pivot siezed up causing the belt not to tension. Haven't seen a bad bearing but if that is what is bad, just replace the pulley.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, after closer inspection it was the idler pulley and after replacing it all is quite again.

Quick Reply: Replace belt tensioner pulley only