Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Steve53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan Oil Change Interval

Hi all
Had a Dodge dealership change my 2012 Caravan oil, according to the sticker they issued my next change isn't until 16,000 miles. I had to go back to the dealership because they had forgotten to reset the counter. Anyway I have less than 12000 on it now and the message indicator says I am due for another change. Any ideas on what is going on? Does the indicator come on due to mileage or oil condition or both.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
DGCaravan
Rookie

Things get complicated when they don't reset it. As a rule of thumb you should change your oil every 5000 to 7500 miles depending on how you drive your vehicle, short trips, use of E85,..

Any extended oil change interval beyond 8000 miles, you should get an oil change analysis.

From your post you did not mention how many miles did you put in your vehicle since your last oil change. If you drove your Grand Caravan only 1000 miles, you should be fine till you reach 16000 miles.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Check your Owner Manual for the info on oil changes. There's usually a max miles/months stated there. You may see something like this:
• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicle’s oil if it has been six months since your last oil change, even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
• Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
• Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The CHAngE OIL message will flash in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12 seconds, after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle-based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan Oil Change Interval