Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

98 Dodge Neon shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Adriana Alcazar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Neon shuts off while driving

I have a 1998 Dodge Neon, which has started to turn off while driving. I first noticed an issue when the car would turn over, but then make the "I'm not going to start" noise. However, if Ii tried it one or two more times, it would start. Then, I'd notice while I was driving that my radio and heater would shut off for just a couple of seconds (as if the car was turning off) but I would continue driving and everything would turn back on within seconds.

On Friday, I was stopping at a stop light and everything shut off. I was stuck at a red light and my car would not turn on, I couldn't even turn on the hazards and my steering wheel locked up a bit. A friendly stranger pushed my car into a gas station and my parents jumped it and returned it to my driveway. It sat there all day Saturday and then on Sunday, I tried turning on the car again and it turned on with no problem. I was able to drive my car with no issues on all of Sunday and most of Monday but then, on Monday night, I was getting ready to go somewhere and the car started with no issue and then turned off completely again a few seconds later. I have not tried turning on the car since.

My question here is... has anyone heard of this or have an idea as to what could be the issue? Battery is only a year old and AutoZone tested the alternator and said it was fine.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
go-part
Former Vendor

Either there is something draining your battery while it is on, the battery is dying, you have bad plugs or wires or distributor or coil pack, or something is fishy with the wires in your car.

Or a wire in the wire harness is bad causing the asd (auto shutdown) to trigger killing the power to your fuel systems

Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
MudDuck603

Check the power cable from the battery going to the fuse box under the hood the connection at the fuse box might be loose i have seen this problem before and that was the fix

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Neon shuts off while driving