Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 Caravan Cooling Fans won't work..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Dber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Caravan Cooling Fans won't work..

Hi Caravan Owners....

2007 Dodge Caravan 3.3 XST...75000 kilometers

Engine light came on...Scan showed malfunction in cooling fan system...
Replaced relay with new one from dealer........... Still no fans.
Checked out both fans with direct 12 volt jumper from battery thru relay plug. (Blue wire with green stripe..) Both fans came on...
Unplugged engine temperature sensor which should cause the computer to default and tell the fans to come on.......Still no fans....
Fuse is good...
Test lite shows grounds are good...
Wiring inspection revealed no sauspect spots...
All connections that go to the power distribution centre (fuse block) appear to have no defects.....
Anyone have any suggestions please email me at pristineperfect10@hotmail.com.
Appreciate your comments and thank you in advance.....Dave

Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Did you get a P code for the fans. This way i can post the pdf file for the repairs.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fans should come on within seconds of turning on the A/C. Do they?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Dber
Default Cooling fans won't come on 2007 caravan sxt

Hi all and thank you for your quick reliees....

SNAP ON CODE READER is showing P0480.

No....the fans don't operate when the air conditioner is on and functioning for several minutes...
No....the fans don't operate when the engine temperature sensor is unplugged.
A mechanic / technician worked on it for about an hour and a half...
He tested the grounds and they all appeared to be good...
He tried a used power distribution box complete with the control module and the fans still don't come on...
The used power distribution box and module he said had a head light issue with it...
A new rad fan relay straight out of the box from the dealer...is installed.
The fans work fine when jumped from the positive on the battery to the (blue wire with the green stripe) that is located in the connector that plugs into the fan relay.
A quick check of the harness located above the front drivers side wheel behind the vinyl protective covering revealed no suspicious areas of corrosion..
The power distribution box has no corroded or suspect areas around the plugs or connectors..
Are there any other sensors involved with this system that could be the culprit?

Thank you, Dave at pristineperfect10@hotmail.com

Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Jumper pins 1 & 2 at the relay connector. Fans should spin immediately. This will test the power input from the fuse in the IPM you bypassed by jumping power directly from the battery. That done, you've proved the relay output circuit is working.The problem then lies in the relay control circuit. The PCM receives sensor inputs from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and A/C pressure sensor. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses this sensor data to determine if the fans should be turned on via the relay. If the sensors are doing their part then the PCM or wiring from the sensors to the PCM are suspect #1.

Need wiring diagrams? Send me a PM with an email address.

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
JimCalvert
Default Similar problem with fans

I have a Dodge Caravan 2007 with check engine light. A check says its the fan circuit. I have checked the 40 amp fuse - okay. I thought the next best thing was the relay. So I took off the passenger side headlight (I read that in the forums)and I don't see the relay. Could you guide me through the process of replacing the relay, unless you think I should try something else first. Thank you in advance

Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Someone steered you wrong. Scroll to the bottom of this link: http://community.cengage.com/Chilton/forums/t/288.aspx

Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
JimCalvert

thank you very much

Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Dber
Default 2007 caravan cooling fans malfunction...

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Jumper pins 1 & 2 at the relay connector. Fans should spin immediately. This will test the power input from the fuse in the IPM you bypassed by jumping power directly from the battery. That done, you've proved the relay output circuit is working.The problem then lies in the relay control circuit. The PCM receives sensor inputs from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and A/C pressure sensor. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses this sensor data to determine if the fans should be turned on via the relay. If the sensors are doing their part then the PCM or wiring from the sensors to the PCM are suspect #1.

Need wiring diagrams? Send me a PM with an email address.
Hi and thank you for your reply.
When I checked the cooling fans with a jumper directly from the battery they both came on. I disconnected the plug at the relay and jumped it thru the appropriate wire in that plug.
In your suggestion do I leave the relay plug connected to the relay and use a paper clip or somthing for a conductor to jump #1 to #2 pin...or
do I unplug the connector comming from the relay to do this check..

My email address is pristineperfect10@hotmail.com Thanks again for your suggestions....

Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
JimCalvert

thank you for allowing me to jump in this thread,
I installed a new relay - still check engine and no fans with A/C on. I am not comfortable jumping pins - is there something else I can change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Caravan Cooling Fans won't work..