2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango

Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
NCEMTP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.. im new to the forum and this is my first post.. I've had the same problem with my 06 Durango since i've purchased it used in Dec 2010 (123k miles) and im going to contact Dodge and see if I can get some results with this problem also!

Thanks to those of you who have been pounding the ground getting results on this!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
HoosierHemiDurango
Default Dodge Durango Fuel Overflow Safety issue

As of this morning, (21 March 2011) there are now 103 complaints on the Durango for fuel tank overflow issues just since January 1st of 2011 linked to the Automotive Recall for Consumers website www.arfc.org.
When is there going to be enough complaints for someone at the NHTSA to open an investigation and force Chrysler (Dodge) to deal with this issue.
There have already been 44,951 Durango’s affected by two recalls, and last year alone there were 447 (www.arfc.org) complaints related to the fuel tank overflow safety issue documented against Model year 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Vehicles.
There have only been 80 days in 2011 and there are already 103 (www.arfc.org) individual complaints from owners asking, begging for something to be done.
Model Year 2005 has 37 complaints
Model Year 2006 has 47 complaints
Model Year 2007 has 12 complaints
Model Year 2008 has 7 complaints
Call the NHTSA and complain.

I actually called this morning to update the numbers and the lady told me that they review the complaints at the website www.safercars.org and that is what/how they determine that there is trouble and an investigation needed.

the site does not break out the complaints as easily as the www.arfc.org website and there seems to be many more fuel system, fuel tank, fill tube and other categories that make it harder to nail down the numbers.

Click on Vehicle Owners at the top, click search complaints; follow the prompts for vehicle year, make, and model and complaint category

Fuel System, Gasoline
Fuel System, Gasoline Storage: Tank Assembly
Fuel System, Gasoline Storage, Tank Assembly: Filler Pipe and Gas Cap
Fuel System, Other

Call the NHTSA and complain
Call Chrysler and complain

Call your local states attorney general office and complain
Call the Consumer Protection Agency and complain
Contact ABC, NBC and CBS offices of investigative reporting and provide them the information pertinent to your specific case and offer to show them in person what it does and the responses, replies or lack thereof we are all getting from Chrysler (Dodge).

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Kursk

Originally Posted by 05DurangoOwner
From what our Dodge dealer said, the filler neck alone will not "fix" the problem. You have to get both replaced.
Found it out today. Dodge replaced the filler neck, it didn't do any good. Spent $420 so far and no results. Now I am scheduled for a whole tank replacement. I specifically asked them, shouldn't you replace the tank when you replace the filler neck? No, they said, this will do it. Of course, it didn't.

Called Chrysler with the good news, they said they'll be contacting the dealer.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
bige4817

thought my wife was doing something wrong filling her 06 durango then I did it gas all over my pants and shoes sounds like dodge is just throwing parts at the problem when it really sounds like a design flaw at least I know I'm not alone with this problem. I like the idea of driving to detroit and having a big shot from dodge fill up a couple hundred of these cars and see for himself the safety hazard.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Gabriels
Default 2006 Durango Fuel shoots out after fill up

Once my 2006 Durango hit 43k miles, I have been having problems with filling my gas tank. When the gas pump clicks off, gas shoots out from the fuel fill. I have been drenched with gas many times, now I stand behind my vehicle. This is dangerous a lit cigarette or a spark from another car could cause an explosion. I have talked to my dealer they said no recalls on this matter. They're reply was we can't have recalls on everything, we wouldn't make any money. I just spent $1,600.00 in having my Durango repaired. My mechanic told me its not wear and tear, it's a manufacture problem. Is Doge waiting for someone to get hurt?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Kursk
Default Hard to find tanks now

Interesting piece of information that tells you just how wide spread this is.

Just talked to my local Dodge shop. They said Durango gas tanks are on back order due to the problems lots of people have been having, so you can't order them through normal channels. They were only able to locate one at some dealership.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
TJDurango2006

"Safety Research and Strategies, Inc." has published their story on this issue:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2011/0...sler-vehicles/

Not sure what we can do to get the necessary publicity. Seems like it takes Facebook or Twitter for anything to happen.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM
CleverDurango

IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM YOU NEED TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTSA IMMEDIATELY! THE SOONER YOU FILE THE SOONER WE CAN GET A RECALL ON THIS!

that is mainly for the people that just search looking for answers to the problem. There needs to be a recall and we need to demand it! Start by submitting complaints to the NHTSA. We need to get united in this and demand it! 2005 got fixed, so how are we going to get ours?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Kursk

Good reminder, CleverDurango. But not all 2005s got a recall, only certain VINs.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
CleverDurango

i am refering to the 06' and later models that are doing it now, if your 05' is still having a problem it wouldn't hurt to file a formal complaint either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango