2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
TWOOIL1993
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango

I have a 2006 Durango 4x4

Every time I fill up, once the gas pump clicks off, gas spews from the fuel fill area. I have talked to my dealer they are telling me they never heard of the problem and will get back to me. I have tried 5 diff gas stations same problem. I see other post with the same problem any luck on a fix. Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any & all help
John

Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Maxreverse

John,

I have the same problem with a 2005 Durango. The tank overflows everytime I fill it up. The auto shut-off feature on the pumps at different gas station do not work with this tank. The Dodge dealership was no help. They said there was nothing they could do. My opinion is that it is a design problem. I am going to investigate it further.

Paul

Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
jhill12790

I have the sme problem with my 2004 durango. Its annoying everytime u fill up gas runs down the side of your truck.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
TWOOIL1993

Originally Posted by Maxreverse
John,

I have the same problem with a 2005 Durango. The tank overflows everytime I fill it up. The auto shut-off feature on the pumps at different gas station do not work with this tank. The Dodge dealership was no help. They said there was nothing they could do. My opinion is that it is a design problem. I am going to investigate it further.

Paul
Hello: Paul
Did your problem start right away or after a couple years? My car start a month after the 3 year warranty was up my luck. Talked to the dealer again today they still do not have an answer for me yet.

Thanks
John

Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
TWOOIL1993

Originally Posted by TWOOIL1993
I have a 2006 Durango 4x4

Every time I fill up, once the gas pump clicks off, gas spews from the fuel fill area. I have talked to my dealer they are telling me they never heard of the problem and will get back to me. I have tried 5 diff gas stations same problem. I see other post with the same problem any luck on a fix. Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any & all help
John
Update:02/25/2009
Had my durango at the dealer on tuesday to fix a problem in the front end. they had another 2006 dodge durango come in for the same problem with the gas filling. They are ordering the gas filling neck to the tank for his car. They will let me know if this will fix the problem, and give me a price on the repair. I called dodge to complain about the problem thay told me they never heard of the problem they are full of s**t. They told me to take the car back to the dealer to get it check out and to get back with them on the cost of the repair they will try and help me since my car is 23 days out of warranty. We will see.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Maryland2009
Default Gas overflow problem is a Dodge recall

The 2005 Durango gas fill problem is an official NHTSA recall item. I found this out on my own through the web. Dodge claims to have no information because their dealerships even know the NHTSA website exists (according to my local service department and the Dodge 800 customer service line.) Unfortunately, you might have to jump through hoops to get your tank replaced if you don't have the right VIN#. I didn't, so the song & dance began. Many calls later - I got a new tank. NOW I have a new problem with the replacement tank...it won't accept the gas & cuts off every $.50 or so. It takes forever to fill up. I've had it back to the dealer service more times that I can remember. I love my Durango but this is just too much now...

Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Carleton33
Angry Fuel filling problem

My 2005 Durango does the same thing. I just can't ever truly fill the tank full. I asked my dealer about the recall but they say my vehicle doesn't fall within the VIN range. Crappy design by Dodge.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
mahowaldjl

I have the same problem on my 05 Durango, which was manufactured after the recall. I found the following comment in the Dodge Caliber forum:

"Do you drive in dirty dusty conditions like gravel roads? I drive on gravel roads alot and my Caliber SXT started doing the gas burp thing at about 40,000 miles. I blew air from my compressor through the Evap filter located by the gas tank behind the rear left wheel and all ok."

It seems like the vent gets plugged, and needs to be cleared out. I have to fix my air compressor to try this - has anyone else tried to clear out the EVAP vent?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 AM
abrasv

Same problem with my '06. Out of warranty (naturally) so looking for some answers here as it seems I know more about this vehicle then the dealers do.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM
silvrdurango

I have the same problem. I have an 06'. The recall that I came across was for 05's. I did some research & I found that if I stop pumping & pull the nozzle out for about 10-15 seconds...it doesn't overfill anymore. I have tried this my last 3 or 4 fill-ups & so far its worked. I have not really looked at the vent yet but this seems to work. Give it try.

Quick Reply: Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango