2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Ball Joints and other Suspension work-02 QC 4WD

Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
kim_22369
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Ball Joints and other Suspension work-02 QC 4WD

Hi There...

I know there is a lot of information in this forum about replacing the ball joints, but I wanted to shout out to get more info.

I have a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4WD with 4.7 V8. I had the recalled ball joints replaced about 8 years ago, but they've been crunching ever since. I'm selling the truck to my 16yr old nephew and want to replace as much of the front end as possible before I do so.

1) Are the Duralast Ball Joints good to use, or should I go for Moog or some other brand?

2) What sort of shocks should I replace with?

3) Should I replace any other parts while I'm at it?

4) I'm pretty mechanically competent, as is my boyfriend; should we do it ourselves, or should I take it in and have it done? (Have a friend with shop, will still cost, but not as much as a dealer, and I can supply the parts)

Any advice would be super helpful.

Oh yeah, side note... Check engine light keeps coming on with O2 sensor code. AZ resets and I drive it okay for 100 miles. Any thoughts on that? Or a link to another forum with advice on that?

Thank you in advance!

Kim

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't get any responses?
I am not a mechanic but like you - am not afraid to tackle something. I would take it to your friend's shop and ask them to give the front end a going over - let him tell you what he thinks it needs and then you can do the work if you are comfortable with it. As far as quality parts? I don't think you want to buy all high end parts - just because with the age of the truck, it may not outlast the new parts - just my 2 cents, I know these are great trucks.
As for the O2 sensor, sounds like you need to replace one. Rockauto is a good spot. Just make sure you know which one the code is showing.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball Joints and other Suspension work-02 QC 4WD