2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

3.9L Horror Stories?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9L Horror Stories?

I have a 1998 Dakota sport with the 3.9L, and after doing some tuneups and maintenance from the previous owner... I don't quite see the hate I often see on the 3.9... Yes, it's not a V8... Yes, it's not the largest V6... No, it's not a super powerhouse... But some of the things I read on forums and whatnot is just... Almost to the point of unbelievable. Claiming to have the pedal to the floor and only managing 60mph, or can't pass at all. Getting <10mpg, etc. Especially since they DID put a 2.5L I4, the bit I find on those is always generally praise. Yet the midrange is a useless "dog", is it because people expect V8 performance and I4 gas mileage? "Underpowered" yet the I4 is plenty, I don't see it. Are people just that far out of maintenance practice?

I don't really have any mods, just what the previous owner put on. Which is only a short ram intake and a magnaflow cat. As such, I'm averaging 18-19mpg without "grannying" it, 75 on interstate, OD off <50mph, keeping it 2k~ RPMs, and quick takeoffs. I average 60/40 city/highway. As far as passing power, it has no problem leaping past someone when I tell it to. Push the pedal down, it downshifts, I get thrown back in the seat, truck goes faster. I've never felt it's passing ability was unsafely slow. No issue running 100+mph without "pedal to the floor" either, just keeping the eye out for them blinky blue lights. Granted, I do have the lightest configuration with regular cab, 2WD, standard box, but I also have the auto transmission, 3.55 rear gears, slightly larger than stock tires, and not afraid to run the AC. (I wish someone local was in the area with a manual, I bet it's a blast to drive... I want to drive one with a manual.) Even brake-holding is effortless, and useless. I don't like buying tires, but I can make an angry cloud if I'm about to change them anyway without problem. Also don't like that extra wear on the transmission, but still.

Am I missing something? Do I have the only truck built on a Wednesday? Anyone experience any of these 'faults' or have your own say on it? Only other compact truck I've driven was a 1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5 with the 2.2L I4 F2 engine, 5 speed manual. Rated at only 85 hp @ 4500 rpm and 118 ft-lbs. @ 2500 rpm. Fun truck, nowhere near as fast as my Dakota (I bet that 2x power helps with that). I've also read that the 3.9L is a very reliable engine... So why all the hate?

Last edited by Skreelink; 04-11-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I suspect that a fair few of the folks having 'major issues' with their 3.9, had other problems as well..... Lack of maintenance, clogged cat, lazy sensors, etc.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I suspect that a fair few of the folks having 'major issues' with their 3.9, had other problems as well..... Lack of maintenance, clogged cat, lazy sensors, etc.
Loose nut behind the steering wheel?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:37 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine still has the rods in it, and it's had a rough life in 188K.
I'll let the forum know if that status changes at any point. Pretty sure the beer kegs governors the RPM enough to not have a need to worry.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by magnethead
Mine still has the rods in it, and it's had a rough life in 188K.
I'll let the forum know if that status changes at any point. Pretty sure the beer kegs governors the RPM enough to not have a need to worry.
Magnethead should make a trip and build up my Dakota. Or at least do a hughes intake... I don't wanna. It doesn't seem to need it yet, but can't hurt.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Adam Hollis
Default Don't understand some of the hate either!

I have an '03 sport plus. 258K, runs like a champ. No major work, orig trans. I love it. Would still take it cross country, ( with AAA of course ). Just changed front hubs, but no oil leaks

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM
sertzel

I have a 2003 sxt ext cab, rides like a Lincoln, I love it on the highway it gets away from me if I don't pay attention, I have caught myself cruising and passing cars and then realizing I was over 100, this is my 3rd I had a 89, 93 and now this one, they all had 3.9, the 1st had a 5 spd Manuel nothing to get excited about, the 2nd had 168k on it when I sold it, the steering radius suck on the 1st 2, this one I like but I tune it she will run like a bear and after about 60 days or so it starts to loose it's power, every time I tune it plugs 3 and 5 are fouled or full of crud, I like when it runs like a bear, I just wish I could keep it that way.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case with the 3.9 was the lack of knowledge, thanks to this site, some research and the willingness to learn about it, I feel pretty confident to say I love this engine!

Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
In my case with the 3.9 was the lack of knowledge, thanks to this site, some research and the willingness to learn about it, I feel pretty confident to say I love this engine!
Always good to hear someone overcoming lack of knowledge with some good studying and help from others. Learn and teach in turn. I hope my 3.9 lasts as long as people say it will. If it catches up to my Camry, I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: 3.9L Horror Stories?