2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

17 gal to 22 gal fuel tank mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 PM
earthhavoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 gal to 22 gal fuel tank mod

I was looking to see if anyone had posted that they have done this, but haven't seen anything other than a few posts about how Daimler-Chrylser offers a "larger" 22 gal tank.
I'm kind of suprised that no one has posted this yet. I probably just didn't look hard enough. But for those of you who haven't ever heard of this modification, I'll post it. For you.

This mod is the first thing that any person who bought a '97-'02 Jeep does. Since this is my first Dodge I thought I'd make sure that Daimler-Chrysler used the same design for the Dodge tanks as the Jeep tanks.I took the bed off, just to make it easier to get to. Everythign is EXACTLY the same as the Jeep's, except that the Jeep's capacity is 19 gal. and not 22.

For a little history lesson... Jeeps used to have the option of two different capacity tanks a 15 gal and 19 gal, but Chrylser decided to save some money and design one tank, the 19 gal, that could have the option of the two capacities for the customer to purchase. Pretty smart! Since I don't know the Dodge history, I will just have to assume that Dodge department took advantage of this idea too. When Dodge did it, I have no clue... maybe someone can inform us.

So, on to the mod...

Thisis a simple and takes 30 minutes or so to do.

For those of you who need some extra sources, (ie. those who don't believe me) here is a link for the Jeep mod.
http://bigredheep.com/forumnews-id-3934.html

(I have the bed off mine right now so it was easier access to the tank)

1. Before doing this modification, you'll want to make sure that most of the gas in the tank is gone.
2. Remove the ground wire from the battery's negative terminal.
3. Remove the gas cap and unbolt the gas filler tube from the truck.
4. Drop the fuel tank. There are only straps holding the tank to the frame. Use a floor jack to support it...(as thoughI needed to include that you need a floor jack) DUH!
5. You will see two tubes and an electrical connector. Remove them all. Make sure you inspect themain fuel line's connectorand the electrical connector before you just tug at them. The main fuel line connector, you just need to squeeze the blue piece and then pull the tube off. The electrical connector has a little red plastic piece that you need needle nose pliers to remove before you can unplug the connector. Some people just tug and damage the wiring or the tube... sucks for them. Sobe patient and smart, it'll save you money.
6. Once those lines are disconnected, you can roll the tank out from under the truck. Hence the floor jack's dual importance.
7. There is a big white plasticretaining ring. This is a PITA to get off. There is a specific tool that Chrysler has, but I just used a VERY DULL squared off chisel and 3 lbs. sledge hammer. Don't use a flat head screw driver, you'll break right through the plastic ring's slots. The ring is removed in the good old fashioncounter-clockwise rotation.
8. Once the ring is off, pull the fuel pump out. The pump contains about a liter of fuel to keep everything primed. Make sure the pump is in good shape, if not, this would be the opportune time to replace it.
9. You will see an extended tube inside at the pointwhere the outside filler tube inserts the tank at. There is a little yellowish plastic ball inside the fenestrated tube. This is the little culprit that makes it so you have a 17 gal tank instead of a full 22 gal tank. Take a razor blade and cut one of the small slots off so that the ball comes out.
10. Throw that little ping pong ball away or go play ping pong with it. Then replace the pump and retaining ring..... just install everything back the way you took it off.

THAT'S IT!! Now you have your full 22 gal tank functioning. Or if you have a JEEP youhave a 19 gal tank.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
earthhavoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 17 gal to 22 gal fuel tank mod

Addendum: "Ping pong" ball's function...
Some people will tell you that the little ball is a "roll over" gas spillprevention "thing". That is FALSE!!! Just the shear physics will tell you that it's false. Plus I rolled my Jeep multiple times and no gas came out! Place that little ball in a milk jug and fill the jug with water until it plugs the opening. Essentially you've done the same thing that is in the gas tank. Now, preform a "roll over" simulation with the milk jug (ie. tip the jug upside down). What happens to the ball? It floats to the bottom of the jug and all thewater comes pouring out of the jug. Same thing in a roll over, the gas cap keeps the gas in the tank, not that litttle ball. The roll over device is INSIDE the pump itself.
That little ball's function is for the tank's capacity and Daimler-Chrylser to make money.

Quick Reply: 17 gal to 22 gal fuel tank mod