2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Check Engine light code P1294

Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
rguildig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light code P1294

Yesterday evening I was driving my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L. I was leaving a parking lot and accidently put the car in second gear instead of drive. I drove for about 4 or 500 feet before I noticed it and shifted to drive. About a mile or 2 down the road I got a check engine light.

After searching the internet I used the ignition key sequence on off on off on and got the code P1294. I looked it up on the internet. The code supposedly means "target idle rpm not reaching +200". Since I did not find out what the code means before I drove it this morning I will have to check in about 20 minutes if it is idleing low or high. I did not notice anything unusual on the drive into work.

How can I reset the code to see if it will come back? If it comes back what could be the cause?

I also drove my truck about 500 miles that day, from Phoenix to Nogales and back. The light did not come on at any time during my trip.

I recently (about 2 months ago) had the spark plugs replaced, the throttle body cleaned, and "de-carbonized", and the fuel pump replaced.

I will post further info later in the day as I will be away from my office.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine light code P1294

How to reset the PCM is located in a Sticky up top under "Tips and Tricks"

as for the problem, due to you shifting into 2nd instead of drive shouldn't have been the problem, try resetting the PCM and if it comes back on then yes there is a problem, and then we can get more into depth on that.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code P1294 indicates that something is preventing the IAC from reaching the "target" idle. It can be caused by T/B butterfly or throttle linkage binding, as well as any sort of vacuum leak. If the code comes back, take a look at these things and make sure that the throttle lever reaches the set screw when you open it from wide open throttle (with the engine not running...) and then close the throttle back

Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
rguildig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK after my original post I started my truck and watched what it did. It initially went to 1700 rpms then quickly down to 900, then gradually down to about 600. I then drove it around town on freeways and such. I noted that whenever I stopped at a light or whatever that the rpms went to 600.

Once I got a chance I reset the PCM. Started the engine and observed that it did the same thing I noted above. The Check engine light did not come on. I will monitor and if it comes on again. I will deal with it.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine light code P1294