2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0443 DTC Fix (and note about Alldata)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0443 DTC Fix (and note about Alldata)

The truck I bought had two DTCs when I bought it (knew about them up front). P0138 (rear O2 sensor issue), and P0443 (Evap purge solenoid issue). I cleared both codes with a scanner, and the P0138 has not yet returned, but after clearing codes, the P0443 returned immediately upon turning the ignition to ON (not even starting the engine). It sure seemed like an electrical problem (open or short in the circuit).

I subscribed to Alldata, just to see what the TSBs were and see about DTC diagnosing. Many systems require the engine to be running (RPM above 400 for example) for this code to set, but the Dodge system does not, even according to Dodge's service information on Alldata. That correlated with my experience...the code setting immediately upon key-on. I searched and found a diagram of the solenoid location, all the wiring diagrams, and diagnostic charts, and printed them out and opened the hood.

The pictorial of the location (it appeared to be from Dodge service materials) showed the solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment, right close to the A/C dessicant canister. Mine had none. In fact, my cruise control servo was there. Okay, remove that, maybe it's behind there. No. Wait, there's something with a few wires and a vacuum line coming off of it behind the washer fluid reservoir...remove that. Ahh...gotta remove the air cleaner first.

After half the engine bay was tore down, I decided that the solenoid for which I was looking wasn't there after all. Okay, back to square one -- let's trace the lines from the evap canister under the frame rail. They lead...forward...up the transmission case...up the driver's side of the bl...o...c...k...right to the solenoid mounted front and center, next to the breather filter on the driver side valve cover. And what have we here, but a broken wire...in plain sight!

So learn from my experience -- if you happen to be looking for this purge solenoid valve on a '97 with a 5.2L engine, it ain't where Alldata says it is. It's the last place you'd look -- right in front of you.

All fixed, code does not return, and my P0138 never did come back. I bought this truck based on them having an estimate of $800 for repairs for these two codes, including various vacuum lines, a new evap canister, a new catalytic converter, and two new O2 sensors...and my price was reduced at least $800 to compensate. Now I really feel like I stole it...

Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P0443 DTC Fix (and note about Alldata)

The P0138 code has returned a few times since I fixed the other code. I'd clear it with the scanner, and sometimes it wouldn't come back on for weeks, sometimes it'd come back on the same day. So I finally broke down and bought a new rear O2 sensor (Denso part 234-4079. Not a bad price from Rockauto: about $55 shipped to my door. Advance/AutoZone wantedabout $79 for it, and for a brand I didn't want (Bosch).

So we'll see if this finally clears it up. The diagnostic tree doesn't seem to necessarily indicate changing the O2 sensor as a first step, but with 170,000 miles on what appear to be the original O2 sensors, I figure they've earned a break. I may go ahead and replace the front one too...though it's not throwing any codes at the moment.

Quick Reply: P0443 DTC Fix (and note about Alldata)