2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Dodge Rules
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

I know this topic must come up alot but this would help me alot in my decision on choosing some headers and an exhaust system. For the headers i would really like to know the pros and cons to these header brands for a 1998 dakota sport club cab 2WD (Dynomax, Edelbrock, Hedman Headers, JBA, and Pace setter)If any one has installed these i would like to know your opinion about them and if you would recomend them to another person buying them. Also the exhaust system the brands are (Borla, Flowmaster, Gibson, Magnaflow, Pacesetter, and Silverline) Also the pros and cons to these. thankyou to anyone that post this can only help me and my truck.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Headers

Engine would be nice to know, also, was wondering the same, what would be best for a 5.9?

Chris

Old 04-12-2008, 02:08 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All those headers are not that great...

and ya engine would help out alot. But im going to guess its a 5.2

Im running Gibson Shorties and the way they are designed.. they do not work well with our control arms, good luck trying to get your passanger side C-Arm adujusted without taking the header off.

I just bought a new set of Mopar PPH headers, they are not made anymore and are the best headers you can get for our trucks. They are not 4 to 1 they are tri style..

JM makes longtubes for out trucks hard to get installed but look and work nice.

and Spintech makes some really nice headers for our trucks. GiSM

every header brand you mentioned but JBA are imo not that great.

as for exhuast up to you, most people run Flowmaster 40s, I like the sound of spintechs exhuast. They make a nice Side exhuast exhuast that very nice.

Also when you get the headers and exhuast made, you will need to think about your other mods in the future. if your going to do cam, heads, intake manifold, ect.. you will need to put on an exchuast system that will let you grow without changing the pipe size.

With the mods i have listed, im going with a single 3in exhuast system, if i was blown or Turbos most people useally run duel 2.5s

you want an exhuast thats going to be able to get the air out as fast as your pulling it in.

Mopar PPH = hard to find, useally pop up for sale on ebay, dakota durango.com, drtclub website, and Delphi forums... you have to look around.

for the JM headers longtube gota get them from John Mercedes

and the spin tech.. check google.

http://www.truedualexhaust.com/

Old 04-12-2008, 03:19 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: User2006

All those headers are not that great...

and ya engine would help out alot. But im going to guess its a 5.2

Im running Gibson Shorties and the way they are designed.. they do not work well with our control arms, good luck trying to get your passanger side C-Arm adujusted without taking the header off.

I just bought a new set of Mopar PPH headers, they are not made anymore and are the best headers you can get for our trucks. They are not 4 to 1 they are tri style..

JM makes longtubes for out trucks hard to get installed but look and work nice.

and Spintech makes some really nice headers for our trucks. GiSM

every header brand you mentioned but JBA are imo not that great.

as for exhuast up to you, most people run Flowmaster 40s, I like the sound of spintechs exhuast. They make a nice Side exhuast exhuast that very nice.

Also when you get the headers and exhuast made, you will need to think about your other mods in the future. if your going to do cam, heads, intake manifold, ect.. you will need to put on an exchuast system that will let you grow without changing the pipe size.

With the mods i have listed, im going with a single 3in exhuast system, if i was blown or Turbos most people useally run duel 2.5s

you want an exhuast thats going to be able to get the air out as fast as your pulling it in.

Mopar PPH = hard to find, useally pop up for sale on ebay, dakota durango.com, drtclub website, and Delphi forums... you have to look around.

for the JM headers longtube gota get them from John Mercedes

and the spin tech.. check google.

http://www.truedualexhaust.com/
Thanks, my problem is my truck is 4x4, so it's a bit different. EXT cab 5.9 Is what IM going to have about tomorrow. All Fits well Even the manifolds bolt up...

What will give me the most bottom end?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i have read that headersare not worththe cost unless you plan todo a bunch of other extensive modifications too. as far as factory exhaust goes, dodge is one of the best just the way it sits. with that said, i would still like to get a single in/duel out setup just for the looks and the sound...or i might just go cheap and put a good muffler on myself and call it good.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Mine has a Flowmaster 40-series, single in and dual out. It's the stock pipe size (whatever it is) into the muffler, then what appears to be either 2" or 2.25" for each exit. It was on there when I bought the truck, and from my experience with Flowmaster, I expected it to be pretty loud and have some drone on the road, but interestingly, this setup actually quiets down with RPM. It's fairly loud and bubbly up through about 1500 RPM, and then it begins to smooth out and actually quiet down as the RPMs rise...at least from inside the cab (and even with the windows open). It has a very loud growl when you start it. I like it a lot...and certainly much better than I thought I would afterthey told me what it had on it before I went to look at it.

I will take a few pictures of it and show you how it's setup. Flowmaster lists four different 40-series mufflers (link), and I don't know what mine has. I'm going to take a guess and say it's a 40-series Delta Flow #9430402 (link). Here are some pictures:

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
scandal669
Veteran

that looks really good, exactly what i have in mind. i have been thinking of getting a system from JCWhitney, they come with all the parts and you can do it yourself (supposedly). i just worry about spending a bunch of money and not liking how it sounds and i dont want to spend a ton on just the muffler. i have also heard people having problems getting it to fit on the drivers side around the spare tire...ive looked into this some, and i can get a complete system like yours for under $200 and install it myself or i can go spend over $500 to have it installed. there is a manufacturer that makes a knockoff Flowmaster, called Flowsound and there are supposed to be basicly the same thing but half the price.

i thought that was my truck for a second!!!! i live in NC too and my plate number is almost the same haha!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
JasonA
Veteran

The exhaust was done at "Bob's Muffler Shop", in Raleigh. They get good reviews. I don't know where you live, but maybe that shop'd be close to you (I'mwest of Fayetteville). I think they bought the muffler and tailpipe trumpets through the shop, and they custom-bent the pipes to fit.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have almost the exact same exhaust set-up and I really like it. IMO the sound is perfect through all rpm ranges, quite on the freeway, some noise around town and then it'll turn a head when I stomp on it. I think I have 2.5 chrome tips. Some people like the Magnaflow and others swear by Flow Master. I think you should stick with a Brand name, unless someone else has used that off brand and can give you a real objective review. Just my 1 cent.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i live in Salisbury (about 30 miles up I-85 from the speedway), there are a couple shops near me butone wanted 180 bucks just to put in a flowmaster and thats it, for that price i can almost pay for a complete system...ridiculous. i think ill just stew on it for a while and decide later if i want to spend the money for a whole system or just go for sound and slap a muffler on.

rpowell---i have read some stuff on other forums about flowsound mufflers and people were pretty happy with them...good product for half the price.

Quick Reply: Headers