2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Distributor timing

Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor timing

Does anyone know how to adjust the distributor timing on a 5.9, 1999 dakota? I am looking for a more detailed description than the manual. I think mine is way off....

Chris

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Distributor timing

Rotate your crankshaft clockwise until the line on the damper is lined up with the TDC mark on the cover. Now make sure #1 cylinder is at top dead center, "both valves closed". The distributor has a little notch in it that is there to align it tothe camshaft position sensor. The tip of the rotor should be pointing to this mark. That is also the #1 cylinder location on the distributor cap. On some distributors, you can put a 3/16" pin to hold the rotor in that position. "We used to use a 16 penny nail bent over". On the newer set up's, you have to use the DRB scan tool to verify the correct rotational position. I know in school, a lot of us reinstalled the distributors 180 degrees out until we got used to putting them in. If someone would show you who knew how, you would see how easy it really is to install one. On your 5.9, the distributor shaft runs the oil pump also. You have to make sure the input on the pump lines up with the bottom of the distributor. A proffesional mechanic should be able to install a distributor in 15 minutes. If you can get the truck to one, maybe it would be worth the couple bucks to let one try.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ricbrk

Rotate your crankshaft clockwise until the line on the damper is lined up with the TDC mark on the cover. Now make sure #1 cylinder is at top dead center, "both valves closed". The distributor has a little notch in it that is there to align it to the camshaft position sensor. The tip of the rotor should be pointing to this mark. That is also the #1 cylinder location on the distributor cap. On some distributors, you can put a 3/16" pin to hold the rotor in that position. "We used to use a 16 penny nail bent over". On the newer set up's, you have to use the DRB scan tool to verify the correct rotational position. I know in school, a lot of us reinstalled the distributors 180 degrees out until we got used to putting them in. If someone would show you who knew how, you would see how easy it really is to install one. On your 5.9, the distributor shaft runs the oil pump also. You have to make sure the input on the pump lines up with the bottom of the distributor. A proffesional mechanic should be able to install a distributor in 15 minutes. If you can get the truck to one, maybe it would be worth the couple bucks to let one try.
Yea that was what I was thinking, and would probably be easier to let someone do it. As I don't really have a clue and no DBR. Well I have a clue, but no way to verify but if the engine runs nice.. lol. I will give chrysler a call today and see...

Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just going to say you might want to have a mechanic do it. at least you made it this far, its nothing to be ashamed of, most people just talk about doing a swap and never do it.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: wink2873

i was just going to say you might want to have a mechanic do it. at least you made it this far, its nothing to be ashamed of, most people just talk about doing a swap and never do it.
Well for the hell of it we hooked up a timing light to the spark plug, okay it went off twice so what could be wrong, lets try and hook it up on the coil, okay, same thing and this was DIRECTLY off the coil. Blinked maybe twice... Even though, the coil should be on constantly...

I think this is culprit or the wire. Unfortunately the people at canadian tire here are ill staffed and don't know how to use a computer because well face it they are dumb... Makes me mad when they can use the computer for searching anything, and they don't know how use the ones in the auto section, I even know how and worked there once for like a month.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 5.9 the distributor doesn't adjust timing like you would think it will. If you try to adjust your timing by moving the distributor you will throw off the fuel sync and not advance or retard timing. If you get the distributor close enough to get the thing to crank, you will have to go to a dealership because the actual adjustment is so sensitive that you have to have a DRBIII hooked up to it to get it right.

Fuel sync is this: the 5.9 (as well as the 3.9 and 5.2 and many other DCX vehicles) are sequential multi-port injected engines. This means that the fuel injectors fire in sync with the firing order. The distributor adjustmentis what sets this right on. Timing is totally locked out by the PCM and unless you have MSD or something, timing can't be changed that way.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 00DakR/T

On the 5.9 the distributor doesn't adjust timing like you would think it will. If you try to adjust your timing by moving the distributor you will throw off the fuel sync and not advance or retard timing. If you get the distributor close enough to get the thing to crank, you will have to go to a dealership because the actual adjustment is so sensitive that you have to have a DRBIII hooked up to it to get it right.

Fuel sync is this: the 5.9 (as well as the 3.9 and 5.2 and many other DCX vehicles) are sequential multi-port injected engines. This means that the fuel injectors fire in sync with the firing order. The distributor adjustment is what sets this right on. Timing is totally locked out by the PCM and unless you have MSD or something, timing can't be changed that way.
Oh, Okay thanks for clearing that up. I never touched it, but I think it might be a dirt crankshaft position sensor or something because it halfs runs, and only sometimes it gets spark so I have narrowed it down to Crank or Cam shaft sensors. Might just take it in, as I need to get this on the road and don't have time to sit and wait for me to get at the crank sensor though I might try and clean it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distributor timing