2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, tamcnally.
I'm going to pick up a relay on the way home - only about 10 bucks - and see if that does anything. I've also noticed that there is a sensor UNDER the battery! I'll check the ground on that one.

And apologies to butterflysbaby for hijacking her thread!
I'm just so happy that I'm getting a response on this. The trucks been dead over a month and I've tried everywhere for help and advice.

You, sir, Mr. McNally, have given me hope! (no pressure, huh?)
And the relay testing advice from 01SilverCC has been very good. I have 7 of them to test, and if it gets out of hand, I may just go buy them.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by tamcnally
It might be a heated O2 sensor, im not sure if it is or not, but that would mean there is 4 wires going into the sensor and that could be the fuse for that circuit.
When I turn the key, I get a distinct tick......tock. ..sep'd by a couple of seconds. The first seems to be coming from 4 wires going into a mounted unit with 2 cylinder type things next to the power brake fluid reservoir. What is this?

Last edited by rickself; 09-01-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

that would be your ABS, everytime you initialize the engine (turn the key to the on position to begin starting the vehicle), your ABS kicks in to make sure its working. that is the noise you are hearing. completely normal

Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
that would be your ABS, everytime you initialize the engine (turn the key to the on position to begin starting the vehicle), your ABS kicks in to make sure its working. that is the noise you are hearing. completely normal
Thanks, I guess under normal conditions, the key would already be in the start position and the tick-tock would not be heard.

So who can answer this - the PCM is totally disconnected and the odometer is still reading the mileage. There must be a ROM chip or something that keeps that info. Is there a way to clear that so that I'll know when I finally make contact with the PCM, I'll know it??

Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 AM
ag198321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge dakota sport wont start

I have a 2001 dodge dakota sport and the odometer says NO BUS. I am thinking I need a new PCM. I am looking at getting a reman PCM, but I was wondering if I get how do I go about programming it to my truck. There is a clicking noise coming from the engine relay fuse under the hood, and I do not know what that means. If anyone can help please let me know.

Last edited by ag198321; 04-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
rickself
Veteran

Wow, do I remember the hassles I went through with the NO BUS error on my 2000 Dakota Sport. I also purchased a reman PCM. You give them the Odometer readings, along with the VIN and pertinent info about the engine size, manual or auto, etc. Then it's all programmed for you.

BUT...once you plug that unit in and find that it is maybe a sensor, you've voided the warranty.

I really thought I could do it myself but after chasing wires, relays and sensors from here to timbuktu, I took it to a reliable repair shop. They actually gave me a quote and after having the truck for over a week, tracked the problem to the crank sensor. I had read other posts here about that particular sensor. It's just a bear to get to.

They shop even noticed that after putting in the PCM, the dash didn't work. So they checked with a partner shop, shipped in a used instrument cluster...still didn't work. So this may have killed the 2nd PCM. Fortunately, IT was under warranty and a third unit was shipped overnight.

Long story short...unless you're sure of what you're doing, let a shop do it. These guys never waivered from the estimate after spending countless hours with the truck, even a weekend. I don't know if I'm allowed to say who the shop is so email me or PM me and I'll see if there's one in your area.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!