I did the same with the larger wires. I also put together a Power Point of the repair process, but I am not sure how to post it to the Dodge Forum. I thought that it might be useful for some of the other members that have not run into this problem before.
I still don't know how to post a power point here, but I made an attempt at providing some info onto a webpage.
I needed to buy the harness kit to replace the factory wires that melted 5 months after replacing the resister. The kit comes with two sets of connectors (tin and gold). After reading the enclosed notes that came with the wiring kit, one says that gold must be used for gold and tin for tin. It made me wonder, why would would there be two sets and why the warning. Well as it turns out connecting a Tin lead to a Gold lead will cause a chemical reaction between the two and cause the connection to start to oxidize which will cause that spot to heat up and eventually start to melt the wires. Clue #1. Clue #2: after literally breaking apart the melted connection, I discovered that all, but one of the wires were fitted with tin connectors and the other was the gold connector. The gold connector was the one that melted. Long story short, buy the wiring kit, use all tin connectors and all should be good. The OEM resister pack that I bought from O'Reilly has all tin connectors.
I don't believe it has anything with the blower drawing to much current (fuses will handle that situation). I also believe Dodge knows this. When I went to buy the wiring kit, I just presented the Mopar part number and the sales person said "Oh looking for a blower wiring kit?" He also, by the way, wanted to sell me a new blower motor as well, shocking.