2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wiring issue with plug at blower resister

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM
in2chaos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AMD Rules
in2chaos,

I've replaced the resistor more than 5 times on this Dakota, the last few suffered melted connectors. The latest melted connector emitted a burnt plastic smell, and the connector was in really bad shape. I've read online that there was a series of blower motors that were produced that function fine, but overload the resistors. The dealer could not confirm this, but did recommend that I replace the blower. I have replaced the blower motor, and installed the resistor and wiring kit. So far so good. To early to say everything is fine, but it functions properly. I paid about $180 CDN for the blower & wiring kit, and the dealer tossed the resistor in for free.

Good luck.
Thanks AMD! I debated replacing the blower motor...and eventually decided to go for it to prevent the need to rewire the plug anytime soon...I do hope this is the end of this though...Through a buddy of mine I got parts for $190 US (all mopar parts) and replaced the works. I appreciate the reply!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
fatalbert411

i have also had the same problem but has only been melting on the highest speed, so after about 4 resisters i just cut the highest speed wire and haven't had a problem since.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
tegel

guys i know everyone likes their rides to look good and it might be a lil bit of redneck but ever thought of running a wire with a inline fuse attached and run it to a toggle switch and then go straight to ur blower motor. Just as simple as replaceing all that damn wiring harness/blower motor and resistor at those difficult angels.... $180 WOW ...$5 for the wiring, $2-3 for the inline fuse, bout $2 for the toggle... $10 quick fix on a low budget! only bad thing is u don't get to select the speeds... all one speed but at least u got heat and air

Old 10-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Joecava

Hey everyone, I've also gone through 4 resistors and each time different speeds cut out until I have none at all. I'm tired of crawling under the dash when its cold and snowing and I need air to clear the window. So I'm probably going to get a new motor for it and try it again. How is your new motor working AMD??? any problems?? I'm not really on a budget but I like when my truck looks and runs the way it's supposed too. So I don't think I'll put a toggle switch on the dash.
When I picked up the last resistor at the dealership they told me that they changed something on it because of all the problems and complaints they have been getting about it. I think they just changed the part number....

Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Bbronco

I have the same problem.
Here is the part# from Dodge for a new harness repair kit. 5017124AB
It has everytthing you need to replace it. You will need to put it together... shrink tubes, soldering, crimping, but it will be like new. Be aware of the different sizes of the wire.
Should be between 50-55 dollars.
The problem really is that the blower motor draws a lot of current, especially in the highest position. Dodge wants you to change the motor out for a lower draw one. Dodge should have made a recall on these but they didn't.

Also on Ebay you can find these kits... some with just the harness repair and others with the harness and a new motor.

Good Luck

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Joecava

Hey Bbronco, I did get the whole new wiring harness and resistor and new blower motor and replaced it all last weekend. Pretty easy to do, it only took an hour max. Just make sure you get some of your own wire connectors to make life simpler. I also just used the green (Heavier gauge) wires for all five and its so nice to have all fan speeds again. The whole deal cost me just over $300.00 though. Everything was different prices through the dealers aswell, so call them all and get the lowest price of each item and tell them you can get a lower price somewhere else and they will match it. They did for me anyways.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
chief-david
Amateur

that was cool.. Thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
tegel
Default The reason i posted up above

The reason i posted up above was it was an lil older post but when i went to the dodge dealership they told us the wiring harness was on back order for over 6 months and they had thought the manufacturer might have went under... personally i now think they we're just trying to get rid of me since i made a big stink about it since i PAID em 2x to fix the fan for me seeing as how i was too busy at work to fix it myself! finally got tired of no a/c and defoster after about 2 months i straight wired it with the inline fuse/toggle switch. Last time i deal with that dodge dealership.. thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
rgking
Default Heater Resistors

Where is the heater resistor assembly located?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

under the passenger side dash, held in with 2 screws.

Quick Reply: wiring issue with plug at blower resister