2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wiring issue with plug at blower resister

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM
timarc124
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what to do. I change my blower motor resistor, it lasts 4 days. Now, I'm only having the highest speed. My connectors are still good.

My dealer suggest me to change my blower motor. I don't know what to do.

Is there a way that I can put a resistor on the wiring between the blower motor resistor and the blower motor to reduce the current ?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 AM
in2chaos

Originally Posted by timarc124
I don't know what to do. I change my blower motor resistor, it lasts 4 days. Now, I'm only having the highest speed. My connectors are still good.

My dealer suggest me to change my blower motor. I don't know what to do.

Is there a way that I can put a resistor on the wiring between the blower motor resistor and the blower motor to reduce the current ?
Hey Timarc,

You are lucky, the resistor is the cheap part Don't wait until it fries the connectors too...replace the motor. IMHO dodge should have recalled those goddamn blower motors...

Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 PM
timarc124

Originally Posted by in2chaos
Hey Timarc,

You are lucky, the resistor is the cheap part Don't wait until it fries the connectors too...replace the motor. IMHO dodge should have recalled those goddamn blower motors...
I agree with you for the recall. I just ordered a new blower motor on eBay, it's a TYC. Waiting for that !

At my stealership, it was 189 $ ! Unbelievable eh ?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM
breadman3056
Thumbs up 2001 durango harness

Originally Posted by nesielheum
I did the same with the larger wires. I also put together a Power Point of the repair process, but I am not sure how to post it to the Dodge Forum. I thought that it might be useful for some of the other members that have not run into this problem before.

I still don't know how to post a power point here, but I made an attempt at providing some info onto a webpage.

I hope this helps someone here: Do It Yourself Blower Motor Resistor and Plug Repair >>> http://mysite.verizon.net/vzew8gyh/id1.html
Thanks man! You're page was awesome!!! I would recommend this page to any one that needs to replace the harness. It was exactly what I was looking for!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
sbozzer
Default It's the connector type

I needed to buy the harness kit to replace the factory wires that melted 5 months after replacing the resister. The kit comes with two sets of connectors (tin and gold). After reading the enclosed notes that came with the wiring kit, one says that gold must be used for gold and tin for tin. It made me wonder, why would would there be two sets and why the warning. Well as it turns out connecting a Tin lead to a Gold lead will cause a chemical reaction between the two and cause the connection to start to oxidize which will cause that spot to heat up and eventually start to melt the wires. Clue #1. Clue #2: after literally breaking apart the melted connection, I discovered that all, but one of the wires were fitted with tin connectors and the other was the gold connector. The gold connector was the one that melted. Long story short, buy the wiring kit, use all tin connectors and all should be good. The OEM resister pack that I bought from O'Reilly has all tin connectors.
I don't believe it has anything with the blower drawing to much current (fuses will handle that situation). I also believe Dodge knows this. When I went to buy the wiring kit, I just presented the Mopar part number and the sales person said "Oh looking for a blower wiring kit?" He also, by the way, wanted to sell me a new blower motor as well, shocking.

Last edited by sbozzer; 01-27-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: wiring issue with plug at blower resister