2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Dakota slight downshift on the highway

Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
tomgregorski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Dakota slight downshift on the highway

I took a road trip with my Dakota today and noticed that at around 65 MPH it would start a little down shift and then back again. It would drop the RPM about 200 RPM. It was not going out of overdrive. Overdrive drops more than 200 RPM. It seems like the torque converter was going in and out of lock up. If I pumped the gas pedal a little it would stop. It would come back periodically. It almost seems like a dirty potentiometer or something. Has anybody had this problem and do you know how to fix it. Other than this, the transmission works great. It does not do this at lower speeds.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Do you know the type transmission you have or the engine CID?

Brian

Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's normal. It's the converter locking and unlocking. Chrysler considers that a gas saving feature. Nothing to worry about.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
That's normal. It's the converter locking and unlocking. Chrysler considers that a gas saving feature. Nothing to worry about.
Sounds about like the Dealership when it came to clogged injectors.. ROFL.. They would not even check the little bastards

Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
McNasy
Veteran

if it does it way to often or more than it used too, its your throttle position sensor. common problem and cheap to fix.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Pwall
Veteran

try the tps because at cruising speed the rpms should not change

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
tomgregorski
Default Tps

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds to me like it is the Throttle Position Sensor. I will change it and see if that works.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 AM
wlros
Default 01 dakota slight downshift

No this is definitley not normal. I have an 02 quad 4.7ltr 45rfe trans. Bought brand new in 02. Had the trans fluid change done at the first normal interval by the dealer. Not long after that this exact problem started and was told it was normal from the dealer, Very iratating! Drove a few years with this problem, only happened on the highway. Tryed the tps but no fix, cleaned the throttle body no change. Finally the transmission when cold would cause the truck to stall, and after long trips would not shift back to 1st. Took it ti a friend of mine, {transmission mechanic] and changed a sensor, no change so he opened up the transmission and saw the filter that picks up the oil was not seated properly in the trans. This cause the trans to suck air and fluid at the same time, as you know these transmissions rely on about 85 to 95 pounds pressure to work properly, as the pick=up tube slowly worked its way out my problem got worse. New filters and trans fluid cost $100 and the truck ran like brand new!! Do a filter and fluid change,can't hurt and may fix your problem. My mechanic said the filter was bent causing it not to seat properly. No problems for the last 65k niles!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

Try the TPS first. There's a way to do it with a volt meter that's explained in a Sticky at the top. I should have checked mine BEFORE changing both Input and Output shaft sensors (made no difference!). Did the TPS and it cured it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 Dakota slight downshift on the highway