2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater Core replacement project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
00vdub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
its probly just a clogged heater core. try back flushing it and that should help alot
Not the most mechanic savy.....how would you go about doing that?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

remove the 2 coolant hoses from the thermostat housing, use a garden hose, attach it somehow to one of the hoses, turn the hose on, let the water flow through the system it'll push some crap out, then do it to the other hose to get anything that might've gotten caught, once the water run clear in both directions you can re-attach the hoses and fire it up, should fix your problem

Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

im sure you all remember i got a ford ranger...well...+1 to the ranger. 3 screws 2 hoses and 10 minutes later the new core was in lol

Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00vdub
If my heat is hot with the blower setting at the lowest and cooler with the blower setting at the hightest, what would that be?
if you look in the 4th picture i took and look for the light green wire thats all by itself on the top of the core housing, right under that metal bracket. Now do you see the shiny part of the black housing kinda looks like a long cylinder?

Right in between the green wire and that black part you can see a small shiny metal piece. There is a wire attached to that and when you turn your heat and cold one way that little wire moves the door open and closed, that little peice could be adjusted wrong, or broken.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man, didn't realize how hard it was to get to those things. Looks like a lot of work.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Michelangelo
Rookie

I have a 2000 Neon that blows only lightly warmed air. I put a new thermostat in thinking that was the problem but to no avail. Do you really think flushing it might fix my lack of heat problem? It sucks in Utah without heat!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

WOW......after seeing that 4th picture and after...id say **** THAT!!!!!!!

id love to try that but have the security of someone else to put it all back together

Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finished it.

Everything went back together fine, and everything works, no leaks and blows damn good since i cleaned out the vents and crap.

No ratels, or nothing. Im happy. If i had to do it again, i would be able to do it in 8 hours or less. First time is a hoe.

Glad its over with... i didnt take any new pics i just wanted to finish it.. was sick of looking at it.

Quick Reply: Heater Core replacement project