2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Dakota 4x4 front lower ball joint removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when in doubt, always resort to fire and the biggest hammer you have

Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
rpowell
Veteran

I just don't feel like screwing with it and the shop in town will press out and then press both new ones in for $40-$50, so I'll just run the control arms in town.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
JohnnyTooBad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a thought. Have someone else press them out. Are they doing all the work, and you provide the ball joints? You'd kiind of have to. I should look around for a shop that will do the work if I provide the parts. I wonder if Advance Auto will loan a ball joint press?

Oh, and the rule is.... Force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. And, yeah, I have a couple of BFHs (Big F'in Hammers). hehehehe

//edit: I called the local Advance. They have the greasable Moogs in stock and have a ball joint press kit that they will loan for free. The ball joints are the same price I'm seeing on line. About $75/ea. I'm seeing these kits on eBay with all 4 ball joints for about $60, but they look like low-end OE stuff that's not greasable. So it'll cost $150 to replace them, as opposed to the stealership charging $900.

Last edited by JohnnyTooBad; 01-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 PM
f0x672
Champion

Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
My plan is to cut off the top caps with a die grinder or diamond cutting bit in a dremmel, then maybe drill some holes in the top of the ball joint so that it has room to collapse a bit. I may heat the control arm with an LP torch and put some non flammable lube in there, then beat the crap out of it with a 5lb hammer. And toughts on whether this would work or not?
that fails.. get an oxygen/acetylene torch and a bigger hammer and your good . haha just kidding. have the press at hand, if that fails then result to physical abuse.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
rpowell
Veteran

ok got mine all done. I also changed all the control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. I used to hear creaks N squeaks in the front when its cold outside, but now it is quiet and feels better too. seriously, unless you just want to play with the press just pay somebody $50 to do it.

anyway hope you get it

Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
JohnnyTooBad

It'll be at least a week until I can get to it. As for the squeaking and creaking, when I was looking to buy, every Dak I drove had that. It was the front sway bar bushings. Mine just started doing it again. Took it 3 years. 10 minute fix with some trailer bearing grease.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 PM
novarob

Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
My plan is to cut off the top caps with a die grinder or diamond cutting bit in a dremmel, then maybe drill some holes in the top of the ball joint so that it has room to collapse a bit. I may heat the control arm with an LP torch and put some non flammable lube in there, then beat the crap out of it with a 5lb hammer. And toughts on whether this would work or not?
I am working on mine as well. I looked & it seemed like there is a cap on mine as well. I checked with my neighbor & he told me that it looks like the factory just bent the top edges over instead of using a snap ring. So I got out my trusty press & reefed on it for a bit & it came out. Now to put the new one in & I am done!

Respectfully
Rob

Quick Reply: 01 Dakota 4x4 front lower ball joint removal