2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 Dakota trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
redeye562
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dakota trouble starting

Still having an on-going issue with the truck starting. Have a new battery in and cables under hood look good. Doesn't appear to be starter. But occassionally when I turn ignition nothing happens. Just like a dead short almost. But if I move the steering wheel - turn it one way or other - then the truck will start. I am assuming some kind of short in the wire harness in the steering column. Wondering if someone else has had this problem before and what it took to fix it. Or any ideas at possible solution would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not likely a short instead it's more likely to be an "open."

It does happen, more so in the tilt-columns. You're going to have to check the wiring carefully. The insulation may be intact so it can be difficult to find.

Pin 13 of the ignition switch, a yellow wire, runs to pin 85 on the starter relay in the "integrated power module."

Pin 4 of the ignition switch, a red wire, supplies power through fuse 20 (25 amp) in the "power module" to feed the starter relay side of the ignition switch.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
redeye562

Thanks for your help. Your answer does help me a lot and yes it is a tilt steering wheel. QUestion if you don't mind helping me a bit more- I have an issue with my arm (a few plastic pieces) so any kind of fine work is kind of diffcult. DO you think just putting a new ignition switch in would fix the problem? I really kept track of the issue and for sure it is something in the steering column causing the problem. If I try to start it and nothing happens (and I mean nothing - no clicks - no nothing) if I turn the steering wheel slightly with the key in the ignition (I want to use the term "loosen" the steering because that is what it feels like) and then try to start the truck it starts with absolutely no problem. I so appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think it's the switch since you move the wheel and it will crank. Where the key goes isn't the switch, it's located elsewhere in the column, and you have to pull the airbag and clockspring to access it.

Do you have the security chip in your key? Is it gray or black?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
redeye562

Grey.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dakota trouble starting