2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dexron instead of ATF+4

Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Excoelis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexron instead of ATF+4

Good day all. I just purchased a 2003 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7L 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (163000KM). The private dealer I bought it from replaced the transmission pan because he thought the old one was too rusted. When I asked him if he used ATF+4 to top up the trans fluid, he said it isn't necessary and he'd used the dexron/mercon generic stuff, and did not change the filter.
From what I understand on the forums here, it is not a good idea to use anything but Mopar ATF+4 on these transmissions. What should I do about this? Bring it to the dealer for a trans fluid/filter change? That will only change some of the fluid though correct? I was thinking flush but have heard that is no good for them wither. Please help, I don't want to kill the transmission!!

BTW- I called the local transmission shop here and they also said it is fine, and they use dexronIII on these transmissions all the time!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it was me i would flush it with the right stuff. i know these transmissions are prone to failure but with that many miles on it i would just do it and if it blows, it blows. what can ya do? there HAS to be a legit reason they specifically call for ATF+4. just because someone beats their wife and says 'it's cool i have been doing it for years' doesn't mean it's right.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

theres a reason the dealer and the manual will specifically tell you to use atf+4. I would take it to a real dodge dealer and just pay out of pocket to get it done right if i was you.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
bpark8824
Champion

+1 You'll sleep better at night knowing it was done right. What is 163km? Roughly 120k mi?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

the idea is that these transmissions were designed to slip in a certain way
dextron has an antislip additive that DOES NOT bode well in a mopar transmission
ATF does not have anti slip

Old 04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
f0x672
Champion

strictly mopar atf+4 ONLY... some kid i went to school with put dexron/mercon combo fluid in his grand caravan, tranny went a week later. plus the cheap stuff doesnt have the necessary detergents and lubricating compounds for mopar transmissions.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by batman13
the idea is that these transmissions were designed to slip in a certain way
dextron has an antislip additive that DOES NOT bode well in a mopar transmission
ATF does not have anti slip
Yes

Originally Posted by f0x672
strictly mopar atf+4 ONLY... some kid i went to school with put dexron/mercon combo fluid in his grand caravan, tranny went a week later. plus the cheap stuff doesnt have the necessary detergents and lubricating compounds for mopar transmissions.
And yes.

Plus, ATF+4 is designed to eb used on Mopar Transmissions. Dexron is designed to be used on GM Transmissions. GM and Mopar use different materials in their friction components, meaning they need a different lubrication oil. The Clutch packs will get destroyed if they are not used with the proper oil they were designed for.

Get that Dexron the hell out of that transmissions and put the ATF+4 in that it was designed for and then go slap the mechanic (Or rather idiot) that put the dexron in.

PS - Change the filter too.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Excoelis

163000KM is roughly 101000Miles. I am going to call the local Dodge dealer today and find out what this is going to cost. Luckily as I mentioned the mechanic only changed the pan, so there is only a small amound of dexron in the tranny from when he topped it up. I think if I just get the dealership to do a regular filter and fluid change (rather than the flush), I should be OK.
The transmission seems very solid in this truck, the only thing I have noticed is that first thing in the morning it seems to rev up a little high when I first start going before it shifts. Almost sounds like 4LO or something, but then after that its fine. Is that normal?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Excoelis

Spoke to the local Dodge dealer and they said not to worry about it, just bring it in and they would do a fluid/filter change on it. I suggested a flush to replace all the fluid and they said that was not necessary. Still $189 (CDN) for the fluid/filter change.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine revs a bit higher in the morning before the first shift, but as soon as I'm down the road a hundred feet or so it stops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dexron instead of ATF+4