2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System
Print Wikipost

Poor Gas mileage & Loss of Power "Solved"

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im still waiting from mine to come in through the mail, let you know soon.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a spare one kicking around both are old but maybe il try it my idle sucks. It seems like the truck jumps around so this seems like a good idea for even me. It could be the o2's but it used to idle like a dream. I have all new cap rotor, wires, plugs ect... 10 k on them. Wonder if swamping the motor screwed with it? lol.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 AM
ccrunner
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spidaman just put in a new map sensor. Ask him.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
f0x672
Champion
Default Update

pulled off my throttle body, cleaned it up, put on the new MAP sensor, and reset the PCM. definite difference. she pulls a lot better and maintains speed up hills. il let you guys know by the end of the next fuel tank how my fuel mileage goes.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Fox. Please post back on the MPG. My MAP has like 1.2 volts on the output wire at idle. Which is way down at the low end of acceptable specs but I have not been able to change it yet. I have to downshift if I want to maintain speeds going uphill and my truck just seems weak and is using more gas than it used to.

Thanks for the update.

Jimmy

Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I checked for codes tonight, found none. I put on the MAP sensor that came with my V8 throttle body from the junk yard and it had 1.49 volts on the output wire at idle. This is higher up in the low end of acceptable specs, and it's closer to specs than my original MAP sensor. That gave me some hope that all I need is a new MAP sensor, and I went for a test drive and could instantly tell a difference. The truck pulled harder and was easier to hold speed going up hills, acceleration from a stop was noticeably quicker and it didn't make the air-sucking sound that had been present when I would floor it, like to pass someone. I had thought the noise was from cutting a bigger opening in the air box. The throttle response was a lot better.

I'm going to leave it as is and really test drive it on my commute to work tomorrow. But judging from how much better it is now, I will be buying a new sensor tomorrow after work. I have no idea how many miles are on this one, and if it did this much better at 1.48 volts, I think it should be even better still with a new sensor that puts out the 1.5 to 2 volt signal the MAP sensor is supposed to provide. I would think my MPG should get better too.

Jimmy

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
f0x672
Champion

well after driving around today, doing about 70 miles, i killed off 1/4 tank and was pretty hard on the throttle. i mean the first 10 miles i had the throttle WOT for the most part while in overdrive. so, it's looking promising. despite i have a cat back magnaflow, K&N intake, superchips 93 tune, etc.. i think il be doing a lot better than 15 mpg. as a disclaimer, this isnt a miracle cure for **** poor fuel mileage. keeping your truck well maintained helps. do your regular tune ups, oil changes, and preventive maintenance and you'll be set for the long haul.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
rpowell
Veteran

I changed mine because I wasn't sure if ever had been and my truck does seem to run and respond better. Crazy that little sensor can make such a difference. My local Dodge dealer has them for $23, best $23 I ever spent. Like stated earlier it isn't a miracle worker, but I'ld say it's close

Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 AM
fastyz400
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for trying this out. Glad the sensor did help people. Spread the word to all the dodges that use map sensors that's getting poor gas mileage and loss of power.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

My truck ran a whole lot better on the way to work this morning. I'm going to install a new MAP sensor and go ahead and do a tune up with new 3923's, wires, brass contacts cap and rotor and clean my TB and IAC tomorrow. I have no idea how old the junk yard sensor is, and a new one should do even better. Truck should do a lot better on power and I hope to bet getting better MPG too after I do the tune up.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea the MAP could be causing my loss of power. I thought it was just my 3.9 showing its age, because I always keep it tuned up, maintenance done ahead of schedule and I really try to keep it in the best shape possible.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor Gas mileage & Loss of Power "Solved"