2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thirsty 4.7, and I don't mean gasoline!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 PM
myraus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thirsty 4.7, and I don't mean gasoline!

Hey everyone. I hope you can help me with my predicament.

My 2003 4.7 Quad Cab 4WD has been a great truck for me these past 3 years but the mileage has been getting up there. Right now I have 338000 kms (nearly 203000 miles) on it.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed the engine getting hot and my rad fan not coming on. I still have the original clutch fan on it as well. When I got it cooled down I noticed it had ingested some antifreeze so I filled it up. Only it just kept taking fluid! When the rad cap was off and the engine was running it had a few bubbles come up, so I knew what that meant: leaking head gasket! I parked the truck and started looking into doing the top-end. I did a compression test and all cylinders were low but fairly even, considering the mileage. The engine didn't run rough like a blown out gasket, and the usual noises were there which was the noisy lifters.

Since then I've taken it apart, found out coolant was burning in cylinder 4, the heads were cleaned up and checked for straightness ( which were surprisingly straight!), and it was put back together with new gaskets, head bolts, and of course new lifters (all 16 originals were collapsed).

Today was my first day driving the truck and it is quieter, smoother, and seems like it's more powerful. Then I checked the coolant level. Took off the rad cap and very little in the hose, but lots in the coolant reservoir, just like before!

I'm at the end of my rope and what I'm asking is if anyone has any idea what I may have missed or what I could do next. I really like this truck but if I have to sell it and buy another I guess I will.

Last edited by myraus; 11-30-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Top off the system, then pressure test it. Leave it pressurized for ten minutes or so, and see if you see anything dripping underneath.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Also, are you sure you filled the system when you serviced the engine? Should have taken 4 or 5 gallons total. It will only take 1.5-2 gals until the thermostat opens. I like to drill a couple 1/16 or a 1/8" hole in the thermostat to help the bleeding process.

Quick Reply: Thirsty 4.7, and I don't mean gasoline!