2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front brake replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:46 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Front brake replace

I have a 01 Dakota 3.9 2wd, an bought a set of the front ceramic pads an they came with the small anti rattle clips .
Are these to be used on the pad edges on both ends of each pad or not used at all?
I got the lower part in on each pad but with top clips on ,the pad wouldnt fit..
Just leave them all off ,or leave 2 lower ones [inside pad an outside pad]on ?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2018, 03:37 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

You should be able to see the old clips and see that its two installed per pad, no?

I've got a later setup, so my clips look a bit different from yours, if I'm looking at that correctly. However, as is the case with all disc brakes I've come across, those spring clips are supposed to be loaded on both ends of caliper (top and bottom), so it pushes on each ear of the pad and suspends it, so to speak. Should suspend the pads and keep them away from the disc rotor when brakes are pressed. So yeah, you install both clips, then push the pad up or down to compress the spring and clear the opposite end.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-26-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:31 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

When I tried to put top clips in with both ends tight the pad would not slide in at top bar ..due to clip making it a tad longer from bottom clip.
I kept bottom ones in since its snug .
Hopefully it will do well ,so far no noise an good braking .

Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by hidden1
When I tried to put top clips in with both ends tight the pad would not slide in at top bar ..due to clip making it a tad longer from bottom clip.
I kept bottom ones in since its snug .
Hopefully it will do well ,so far no noise an good braking .
You should have both clips in. Eventually you'll probably get some squeal as the single spring loses strength. I can be difficult to get the pads in and the clips must be properly seated before you insert them. Sometimes a little brake lube on the clip surfaces and bit of help with a skinny screwdriver does the trick.

Quick Reply: Front brake replace