2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 PM
donsdakota4.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problem

Alright, so i have a 2001 dakota sport, with the 4.7 in her, and the radio if being a peice of you know what but i am not quite sure it is just the radio that is wrong. I am thinking maybe possibly in the junction block. the radio will turn on and off while driving, sometimes it will flicker, the clock seems to work for a few minutes and then it just stops, sometimes the slide buttons for the bass and the treble just kinda flash. Also it use to draw off the battery when it is shut off. By the way this is the stock cd player. If anybody has had this problem or has any ideas of what i could do to fix this please tell me because i am starting to pull my hair out with this one.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default common problem

ive seen this happen a lot on vechicals they just wear out over time but new ones are not that bad priced but id just pull and replace and then if you have the problem still then return it and go from there but i would replace it i do have a stock one cheap

Last edited by moparman_2004; 09-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Ditto, mine does it and yelling doesnt help. I 2nd the replacement. But If youd rather a freeier option it sounds like a loose connection, if its the original radio it might be internal or it might be the wiring.

I think its the unit and it should be replaced.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

crutchfield.com You can find all kinds of deals on there for aftermarket radios prob have got 3-4 radios from there and all were priced right and worked awesome.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 PM
raiders98
Rookie

Before you spend any money I would try a few things first. Mine used to do that. I would check to make sure the ground has a good connection. What I had to do was disconnect my antenne (this acts as a ground) then I ran a new ground to the frame and now it works perfectly. A

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

my stock HU acted up too.

look for:

check ground strap
check yellow "always on" lead
check red "power on" lead

Check the serial data input (pink or yellow w/ white connector i think) and even try unhooking it

I went through 2 stock CD payers, and it would change channels randomly, both did. Aftermarket doesn't. So I think it may be related to the serial data link....

Quick Reply: Radio Problem