2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Header related question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header related question.

My header bolt in the middle snapped off on the passenger side of my 2k 3.9 and I was wondering if I can just pull the splash guard off the passenger side and remove the header that way? I know it has to be removed with a tap and dye or something like that but I am just worried that its gonna cost a ton just for one stupid bolt. Thanks ahead of time. Sorry if I always ask so many questions.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya you can just remove the guard. As to removing the broken bolt, it depends on how much of it is sticking out. If it has enough on it grab it with some ViceGrips. If not then use a extractor bit. They are less then $10 at most auto parts stores. All you do is drill a hole in the middle of the broken bolt. Then use the bit. As you turn it in, It grabs and will spin the bolt out.

Here is a picture of it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did it strip the threads in the head do you know yet

Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't checked yet.

Father in law had me worried and said we would have to pull the entire fender off. Now that I know I can take the guard off I will try to check. I know some of the thread is on the bolt that came out so i'm guessing it might not have any sticking out. I do hope I don't have to buy new gaskets but I would feel better buying them lol. I hope once the leak is fixed i will notice a difference. I had installed the cherry bomb pro and new plugs and noticed almost no difference except for the leak sounds louder lol. Not sure if it stripped the threads but i think it just snapped from me trying to pull the old muffler off.

Quick Reply: Header related question.